View Single Post
Old 07-30-2020, 02:02 PM   #188
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Daily update: I am in the middle of Finrod's second stanza. Remember the time I was complaining that translations were getting harder instead of easier? I think I reached that point of exhaustion with the music, which delayed me further, but I think I'm past the nadir now. Sauron's second stanza was hard! And still needs work. Ironically, musical inspiration failed me completely on Sauron's "How can such as you hope to restore a single line". It is currently bare of accompaniment, to be filled in later. I swear Sauron is mocking me. Finrod, on the contrary, is easier to imagine music for, but the music itself is more complex and takes more fiddling with. You can tell I do his part one instrument line at a time because you can hear them fall off one by one at the end. As usual, suggestions and comments are most welcome.
I like it! It was tricky to get the start of Sauron's second verse at first, but I think I've hit it in this.

Oh, in what? In this, naturally. ^_^ A complete re-recording, with no processing on Sauron at all. If there are specific Finrod lines that worked better in the previous version, I can splice them in no problem.

Quote:
I was hoping to be done before the weekend, but I am afraid I won't make it at my current pace. I will be away from the computer on the weekend but will continue to work on it the moment I'm back! I am sorry for being so slow. Unfortunately the score is the rate-limiting step in the process, and I write music a lot slower than I wrote lyrics!
Noooo worries. I haven't done any more art since Finrod, so, y'know, same boat. I'll get there, I promise!

Quote:
The next song should be something less complex. Something with fewer instruments involved. Or something where I wouldn't feel guilty breaking my "no exact repetitions" rule and just using the same accompaniment for multiple stanzas. I wouldn't quite say I bit off more than I can chew with the Duel, but it's more than I can chew without a break.
Yeah, it's not the simplest. I'm not sure what is... the Coming to Nargothrond is at least short, right?

Quote:
1. The music lends itself very well to an extra syllable in Finrod's repeated final lines. They could become "The curses become songs!" and "A strength to counter you!". What do you think?
I've sung 'the', but I wonder about 'Your'. It gives a stronger opening to the line, and foreshadows Luthien's twisting of Sauron's lines back on him ("One... who can wield power in this world").

Quote:
2. "Heeding the song of memory" - when I hum this to myself, half the time I change "song" to "call" unconsciously. My brain is still in translation mode, replacing the lyrics with the most literal translation it can find that fits into the line. o.o
Hah, I still try to read the line in V1 as 'Unto the Hither Shore', because that was how I first wrote it. And there's lines in other songs that I want to sing as the subtitles, even though they don't scan at all.

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote