View Single Post
Old 08-25-2005, 12:46 PM   #10
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Quote:
Imrahil plays a small yet vital role again - how do we account for his position that makes him a candidate for temporary ruler?
Quote:
You know, at this point in the story I wasn't wondering why Imrahil was given command. I wondered on what point of law or legal right Gandalf could take that decision upon himself to give a military command. What authority does Gandalf have to assign Imrahil the command?
I suppose it might seem a bit presumptuous for Gandalf to go around appointing people and such, but seeing as he is a person of importance in the city (he was a seventh circle regular, a royal advisor, and was given clearance to come and go as he pleased) he might as well give orders, especially since he knew what was best.

For instance, when my friends and I play a game of football, I don't hold any sort of legal power, but when I say "Ok, here's what we're going to do..." my friends don't argue with me. They believe that I am properly qualified to lead them and make decisions so I really don't need to "pull rank" on them.

I think the same thing goes for Gandalf. He is qualified to lead and make decisions and he is powerful and everyone knows it, so why not give orders?