View Single Post
Old 02-09-2003, 06:13 AM   #9
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I think that if Tom had been more aware of the terrible dangers facing Frodo, he would have accompanied the hobbits the whole way. After the barrow, he rode with them all the way to the road, which marked the bounds of his little realm. To this day, I still can't figure out how Aragorn was in exactly the right spot! Of course, he does have keen eyesight and may have been able to spot them from far away. I'm sure that Tom Bombadil on Fatty Lumpkin would be quite a sight.

Unless you subscribe to the theory that he is Ilúvatar, it is difficult to imagine that he set the hobbits up for their barrow experience. Although they experienced a lot, got some very important trinkets for later, and had a bit of a naked romp, it was a very dangerous predicament to be in (Gandalf himself thought it was the most dangerous point up until Rivendell).

I think that Tom referring to Goldberry's 'Washing Day' was just his quite little name for when it rained. I think the only things being washed were the plants, and that Goldberry's being mentioned in connection with the rain just shows more fully her background as a water spirit. Of course, she was probably outside in the rain all day. Remember that when she sat down she always had her feet in water. The rainy day just seemed to fit in nicely, allowing the hobbits (and the readers) time to sit back and chill, and listen to some stories. I think Tolkien is actively condoning the practice. I love those rainy Tom Bombadil days.