View Single Post
Old 08-22-2003, 08:06 PM   #164
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Adrama stood, trying to hide the glittering coldness in her eyes as she watched Finduilas and Denethor, or rather just Finduilas. Adrama knew she wouldn't be able to look at Denethor without the few nearby her seeing just how she felt. Murmurs came to her ears. "Isn't Finduilas beautiful?" "Absolutely lovely!" "The perfect bride for Denethor." Adrama tried to ignore these, yet one comment was impossible to pretend she hadn't heard. "Do you remember when there were rumors that another girl would marry Denethor... yes, can you imagine? That would have been so terrible for Denethor. No, I believe she wanted to marry him because of his high position. Everyone would have been perfectly miserable if she had become his bride. Except her, of course, the little hag. As long as she got what she wanted, she wouldn't have cared what everyone else felt. Yes, I know what people are saying abuot the Lady Finduilas, but I don't agree. If anyone is related to some evil person it would be the first girl."

Adrama's back stiffened, color came to her cheeks, and her hands clenched tightly at her sides. She felt a hand gently touch her shoulder for a moment and she saw her mother looking with kindly concern at her. For the rest of the evening Pelien did not exchange a single word with the one who had made that comment, who, fortunately, wasn't known to their family.

Pelien drew Adrama away from the main section of the people gathered and looked into the dark eyes that were seeking to find something else to look at. "Adrama, this must be very hard for you," Pelien said with a little sigh. "Please, love, you mustn't listen to anything people say. You must realize that if Finduilas were turned away and Adrama married Denethor, that such terrible things would be said about them, too. People who say things like that are merely trying to fit in with the others and find fault in everything."

Tears brimmed up in the dark eyes and, as they were in an area with many people, the young woman simply took her mother's hands and kissed her cheek. "I love you so much, Mother," she said.

Her mother blushed a little and pretended in vain not to have heard, and they rejoined the crowd. For the first time Adrama summoned up enough courage to look at Denethor. With a shock she realized, though she would nevr have admitted it, that she didn't really love Denethor anymore. The only reason she hated Finduilas was because she had taken what should have been Adrama's. Because she was supposed to hate her...? Adrama wasn't very sure about that.

"Adrama, would you like to dance?"

Adrama's turned her head and saw that the speaker of those words had been Pelien. Not sure what her mother meant, she replied in a hesitant voice, "I think it might enjoy that." Her mother made no reply, but her eyes shifted from Adrama's face to something else. Adrama turned, following the direction of her mother's gaze, and found herself looking at Addruran. She smield a little. "Just like old times," she said, and moved off in that direction. Standing by the table where Addruran was surveying the room, a voice beside her spoke unexpectedly, startling her.

"Hello, Adrama."

"Alethea, how wonderful to see you again!" Adrama said with a laugh. "Of course I should have known you'd be here. I was just..." She trailed off and her eyes wandered to Finduilas.

"Watching Finduilas, I suppose?"

"Well, yes, actually," Adrama said with a little sigh. "I suppose she does look rather beautiful tonight. She must be very happy to be Denethor's bride."

Alethea was silent. Words didn't often ease bitterness. "I saw you watching the two of them just a few minutes ago," she said, cleverly changing the subject without appearing to. "You looked absolutely ghastly for a few moments. What happened?"

"Oh..." Adrama paused, trying to hide her confusion. She didn't feel like confiding in Alethea just yet. "Er... my corset was too tight."

"So your mother took you aside and comforted you about it, and you were exceedingly glad over that? Not to mention that you hadn't noticed it before, especially when climbing in and out of your carriage."

Adrama laughed lightly. "You're very sharp, Alethea." A teasing smile came to her face. "Were you, by any chance, spying on me?" There was a little silence, then Adrama spoke again. "If you want the truth, some woman or other made a nasty comment about 'the first girl who was going to marry Denethor.'"

"Some people can be so spiteful."

"And mocking! If we ever get to meet each other in private again without all these ears listening in, I'll tell you about my mother's tea party. There were some perfect examples of mockery there." Adrama's eyes scanned the room, searching for Tessa. "Finduilas' sister did give me a rather friendly look, though. She might be a good friend, except for two points: she was making fun of my mother, and she's Finduilas' sister." Adrama could not explain why she felt guilty after proclaiming the second reason.

A hand touched her shoulder, and she turned to face Addruran, smiling up at him. "Will you dance?" he asked.

"I suppose that would be very pleasant," said Adrama. "Just like old times?" She turned back to Alethea. "I hope you don't mind," she said. "A new dance is just beginning, and afterwards I'll return."

"Please, go," Alethea said. "It might do you some good, Adrama." With a playful smile, she leaned over and whispered secretly. "Perhaps I should loosen your corset for you first?"

Adrama gave her a withering look, then laughed loudly, taking Addruran's hand and walking out to the dance floor with him. The music began to play, and the two of them began to dance. Adrama wondered if her mother and father would dance at all. They never seem to do things like that anymore, she thought. Really, I hope Mother realizes that dancing is a very noble thing to do.

"I noticed you looking very sick just a few minutes ago," Addruran commented.

"Yes, everyone does seem to be noticing that," Adrama said, feeling rather annoyed. How many other people would comment on that before the evening was over? Deciding immediately to skip the story about the corset, she simply said, "Someone said something rather rude about me, without knowing I was there. It was just rather a blow against my pride, that's all."

As they continued to dance, they came alongside of Finduilas and Denethor for a few moments. Adrama made a point of looking exceedingly happy and ignored them. That will show him that I'm not sorry at all that he's marrying that hag, Adrama thought with some satisfaction. The feeling of happiness wasn't all pretend. It was nice to be talking casually with Addruran again. Smiling fondly, she brought to mind the time when they had both been children and, at one party, they had danced together and everyone had watched them with laughter and applause. "A perfect match," everyone had said. Adrama didn't like to think of that. Everyone seemed to want to spoil the friendship the two of them had.

The dance soon ended, and Adrama bid farewell to Addruran and went to rejoin Alethea once again. The dance had left her flushed and looking very beautiful, and Pelien, standing a little ways off, couldn't help but smile proudly as she watched her daughter. Adrama and Alethea went to where they could sit down and began their conversation once again.

[ August 22, 2003: Message edited by: Nurumaiel ]