View Single Post
Old 02-04-2002, 02:32 PM   #52
Lostgaeriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Lostgaeriel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I've been thinking about this topic a lot for the past couple or 3 weeks. In fact my subconcious won't leave it alone!

Besides the obvious similarity in the healing powers of Aragorn and Christ (and thus their identification as King and Messiah respectively), I've found about 15 or 20 other similarities. I'm trying to write it up in some kind of readable essay, but typing up the dozens of quotes alone is very time consuming.

Anyway, my theorem about the reason there appears to be no definitive "Christ figure" in tLotR" is because it takes 3 characters to represent Christ: Frodo, Gandalf and Aragorn. A trinity if you will! (Ugghhh!) Read again the passage about the crowning of Aragorn to see how closely intertwined these characters are for achievng "The Return of the King".

Frodo bears the burden and "dies" to save the world. (He cannot return to a normal hobbit life.) Gandalf sacrifices himself for his friends and is reborn. He also is the flame or "Holy Spirit" that encourages the Fellowship to act. (Pentecost is discussed in Acts 2.) Aragorn lives a fully human life as did Jesus.

I've got 10+ pages on how Aragorn's story is similar to Jesus'. Here's a partial list.
* detailed genealogy to legitimize claim
* similar childhoods - naming of the child, foster/adoptive father, hiding child from enemy
* mothers' feelings when confronted with prophecies about their sons (not exactly the same, but both mentioned)
* coming of age stories (at 20 and 12 years respectively)
* temptation by the Devil or the Ring - offer of earthly power
* both predict the end of the Age - which relates to the next...
* the reforging of the Sword and the separation of Arwen & Elrond by Aragorn remind me of Matthew 10:34-38
* the various names, titles, descriptors of both - some are similar if you stretch it
* healing powers - already discussed
* entering and then leaving "the City" on the day they are hailed as King and Messiah
* "communion" or drinking from a common cup occurs many times in tLotR, but Aragorn's farewell to Éowyn before he takes the Paths of the Dead brings to mind the Last Supper
* the many Transfigurations of Aragorn (a BIG one) - I count 10 instances at least.
* Aragorn's decision to find and save Merry and Pippin rather than follow Frodo reminds me of the Parable of the Lost Sheep.
* Aragorn hears Boromir's deathbed confession. He never tells anyone what Boromir did. Only he and Frodo know. (Priest?)
* their roles as Judge at the end of the War or at the end of time
* Frodo and Sam sit on the right and left sides of Aragorn's throne - much debate among disciples as to who was going to get this honour in Jesus' kingdom. (See also Rev 5:13 - is Frodo the Lamb and Aragorn the one who "sits on the throne"?)
* Aragorn has his apostles or followers - male and female - as did Jesus - Sons of Elrond, Halbarad, Éowyn, Éomer, Imrahil, Gimli and Legolas.
* the preparation of the wedding of Aragorn and Arwen has a hint of the Wedding Feast of Canaan (water into wine - saving the best 'til last)

Want more detail? Quotes? Let me know. Like I said it's VERY LONG. And I'm sure it's not original. (I see in another thread Movies: LOTR fanatics.. read on.. help? that I should probably read "Finding God in 'The Lord of the Rings'" – author?)

Post Script:
I was interested in this topic as a literary exercise only. For fun. I don't believe the idea that there is any Christ figure in LOTR. It's not an allegory. I just thought it would be interesting to explore imagery and story elements common to both these pieces of literature (and others). For example, why are "coming of age" stories so important to people? (Frodo's is also told in LOTR.)

After reading some of the messages here, I've concluded that I don't have the stomach or the thick skin needed to write up this piece of fluff. Not to mention the time.

[ February 21, 2002: Message edited by: Lostgaeriel ]