View Single Post
Old 06-17-2003, 08:44 PM   #149
Delian

Sting

A short while after Caseus had left Delian alone at his table a hobbit walked over and sat down with his ale. "Good afternoon, Sir. Welcome to the Green Dragon. Are you new in the Shire? Just passin through? What's your name might I ask? My name's Drogo Halmor, nice to meet you. Do you want an ale?"

A little suprised by the talkative young hobbit the man sat there with a blank stare for a few seconds before responding. "Hold on there young master. One question at a time is normal in the Shire is it not?"

A little taken back by the man's comment and a little confused (he had expected his questions answered first) he stuttered back, "We... well yes, b... but don't most men answer questions before handing out new ones?" He grinned at his comeback in the way a child would at outsmarting an adult.

"Very well short master. My name is Delian son of Sallesar, I am just passing through, this is not my first time in the Shire but I am not farmilliar with this region. As for the ale I drink beer unless ale is served." he said pointing to the empty ale mug next to the hobbit's foot, which had comfortly lain on the table scince the start of the conversasion. "Now I have some questions for you Drogo." continued the man, "Why do I interrest you so much when there are many tall folk in the inn at this time? Are you the messenger? And would you like me to get our drinks?"

"There you go askin more than one question at a time. So if we aren't being exactly proper I'll answer your questions out of order. First off I ain't know of any messages. Next it'd be mighty kind of you to get the drinks for us, ale for me, beer for you. Lastly I'm only interrested in you because you sat over here for a mighty long time without doin much at all, no talkin, no orderin drinks, no nuthin." replied the short hobbit as he called someone over. "Halenth, is this the man you were lookin for?"

"Yes, thank you my dear hobbit friend" said the tall shabby man who had approached the table (apparently a ranger for few wear grey who are not). "Hello Delian." he said after a moment or two of speachlessness. "Most of us thought you were dead seeing as we haven't seen you for some years. Then I was told that the 'one who didn't belong' needed to be contacted I couldn't believe it. When Sarrenor needed a deliverer I spoke up for the job. All he gave me was this and his best wishes to us both." said Halenth still recovering from the shock of seeing someone he had long thought dead. He drank Drogo's ale, refunded the hobbit, and pulled a small peice of paper from his sack. "I and some of the other rangers, even though you aren't quite one of us, are willing to help you if you get into any kind of a jam. Also, before I leave, I'd be quite happy if you would come visit us some time." the ranger thanked the hobbit for his help and left the Dragon.

[ June 17, 2003: Message edited by: Delian ]