View Single Post
Old 03-31-2004, 07:43 PM   #28
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
There are, I believe, another one or two diseases.

Problem: The first is similar, in theory, to Silmarilopox, bit not quite. It stems from being too smart, but is more dangeroud to others. Though my name for is not necessarily the best one, I've dubbed it Hyperpostitis.

Symptoms: Primarily having long, sometimes massively off topic, almost entirely unreadable posts that are filled with stuff from LotR but are just too long and bizarre to even attempt reading. I myself have done this and, without offending anyone else, can honestly say I have seen posts like this from others (won't say who *whistles innocently*).

(Note: In truth, I love posts like this, but I'm sure they're not entirely heplful to some newcomers who might be utterly befuddled by a tremendous epic post)

Cure: Probably a simple toning it down. Long, thought-out posts are always encouraged, but after you've written such an epic monstrousity, take moment to read it over and make sure it is comprehendable.

The second problem, plausibly more dire.

Symptoms: You have become so attached to the Downs and its members that you are terrified of being shunned, even though the fact is unlikely, and thus never post anything controversial, interesting, argumentative, or even as far as your own views because you're afriad someone will disagree.

Problem: Barrowostriphobia (ooh, that's quite a name) is what I decided to dub this, since I believe it is a deep rooted fear of earning dislike from any member of the Downs in the form of 'cold-shoulder giving' or ostricism.

Cure: Just take a deep breath, wait for the oppurtunity to rise, and post as any person would. Don't be afriad if you're wrong or if someone doesn't agree. Unless you do something really stupid, you're on the right track (if you have done something really stupid, be afraid...be very, very afraid).

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote