Thread: And Eru Smiled
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2005, 02:51 AM   #61
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Quote:
The truth is that I'm quite surprised that no one has taken me up on my offer yet.
I suppose you scared people off shouting, and we know Bombadil's mighty voice is a good signal for fleeing

But kidding apart, you haven't postulated real question in the first part of the post, it was rather list of material.

Part II, now, is another matter:

Quote:
If he is saying that all creation is a part of him and that nothing can be done outside his will, then we have a middle-earth with a destiny. If he is saying that there is no pure evil and that evil actions will ultimately (and unintentionally) bear good fruit, then we have a fascinating world to discuss
I cast my vote, if that's what you expect, that he says both.

Option 2 (the one underlined in the quote above) presents quite perfect clothing for the thought, but its very perfection does not leave room for discussion per se (in my case, at least), and the only thing you'll elicit from me would be agreement

Option 1 (italics) is equally true, but let me point that concept of destiny does not cancel out individual freedom of will and equally does not cancel out second part of your statement

So, there is no real dichotomy there, as far as I'm concerned

I would not argue the point right here and now in order of not repeating myself and due to lack of time right now, but leave you for the time being with the promise of digging up links to places where the point was previously argued by yours truly

cheers

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote