Thread: And Eru Smiled
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2005, 01:41 PM   #60
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots The Question:

It is good to be back (to the small degree that I am) among such a worthy community, and I apologize for my forwardness.

I'm now going to embark on the process I thought of nearly a week ago, and hopefully others will be somewhat enthusiastic.

In order to better understand anyone or anything, it is sometimes best when we are denied a view of its psyche or essence, to glimpse it through its involvement in various scenarios which, in fact, we do have access to. In this case, we are discussing Eru and questioning his nature. Now, of course, it is just as easy for me to look at Tolkien's divinity and suggest that he is a reflection of Tolkien's own beliefs. This seems too easy, though, and is likely subject to fallacy. For example, Tolkien created Frodo as the protagonist for LotR, does this mean that he heroized Frodo's character? Perhaps it does, but I think we all have enough insight to realize that there is (was) more to Tolkien's view of the hero than Frodo, so similarly we should realize that there is more to his personal theology than is contained in Eru. Well, what of it? If this is true, then we must admit that since Tolkien is not directly replicating A) his ideal hero in Frodo, or B) his personal theology in Eru, neither of these characters are limited by his holdings on these matters. That is to say that just as there was certainly more to Tolkien's personal theology than he put into Eru, it is very likely that there is more to Eru than can be found in Tolkien's personal theology.

Well, then, since we have decided here not to limit Eru to Tolkien's theology, we ask what scenarios are available to us. In listing these, it is easiest to move chronologically. Thus, we begin:

1. Eru Supreme
2. Eru Creates Ainur: "offspring of his thought"
3. The Great Music, composed of three themes:
i. Beautiful, Harmonious, turned into "a sea of turbulent sound" by Melkor, (Eru smiles)
ii. Gathers Power and "new beauty" Melkor's discord prompts some Ainur to be silent (Eru stands with "stern" countenance --BoLT he weeps)
iii. At first soft and sweet, yet unquenchable, absorbs the most triumphant notes of Melkor's discord.
4. Eru Stands, raises both hands "and in one chord, deeper than the Abyss, higher than the Firmament, piercing as the light of the eye of Iluvatar, the Music ceased."
5. Eru prepares the Ainur for the revelation of the vision, and explains to Melkor that "no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me, nor can any alter the music in my despite"

I could continue here with the revelation of the vision, but I believe that there is already an abundance of discussable material above, and by doing so I would just drown it out, and I fear we would loose some of the subtleties revealed above. I recommend all to first read the opening pages of the Ainulindale, and then to comment.

Note-- As the title implies, this post serves merely as a question. It provides almost no relevant argument or discussion. But, having the question is (as the saying goes) being halfway to getting an answer. If no one takes up the offer perhaps I will continue, but I have sufficient faith that there are many here who will be willing (if not eager) to share their thoughts.

Best to all,
Iarwain

PART II: A CONTINUATION

The truth is that I'm quite surprised that no one has taken me up on my offer yet. So, I suppose I'll have to write some more. The idea here is to take the givens and reach a conclusion, and that is what I'll try to do. I think that the key part of the above is Eru's quote to Melkor: "no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me, nor can any alter the music in my despite." A few days ago, I was thinking about what I might say if I posted again and I realized the implications of our interpretation of that quote. I believe that almost the entire theology of ME is wrapped up in it. So I ask you all a question:

What is Eru saying?

If he is saying that all creation is a part of him and that nothing can be done outside his will, then we have a middle-earth with a destiny. If he is saying that there is no pure evil and that evil actions will ultimately (and unintentionally) bear good fruit, then we have a fascinating world to discuss. Both of these have tremendous ethical implications and will play into our outlook on the lives of characters like Turin and family, Maeglin, Gollum, and especially Morgoth himself. I think that the best way to answer this question is to find instances in the books which point to the answer to our question, so that we can better see who Eru is, and better understand the ethical system inherent in TCE.

I hope that is sufficient to elicit a response.
Iarwain

Last edited by Iarwain; 06-24-2005 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Pondering the Answer
Iarwain is offline   Reply With Quote