Thread: And Eru Smiled
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2005, 07:27 AM   #43
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil
So, you see where I'm going? Although Eru can/should stand on His own in Arda, and should not need a translation for readers without a Christian background, it should be permissible for a reader who IS familiar with the Christian God, whom Eru is intended to be a "book translation" of, to assume that he will have all the personality, power, and style of the "real" God.
I personally would not wish to deny you the right to 'see' God reflected in Eru. The problem arises when we take it as a given that Eru is the same as God. The nature of God in the real world is so varied that it is difficult to pinpoint the nature of God apart from in a personal sense; if a person is lucky enough to have faith in one religion then they find it easier to pinpoint God's nature, but even when this is the case, another person will have an equal level of conviction that God takes yet another, different nature. So it's a subjective comparison in that respect, that will not be universally accepted.

Where I also have a problem is when people of other faiths (and I don't mean different branches of the Christian faith) also 'see' their God reflected in Eru. Is it that God is universal or is it proof that Eru is yet another version of the variety of Gods? If that makes sense.