View Single Post
Old 06-21-2012, 08:44 PM   #9
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'm going to get this out before going any further: If a tree falls in a remote part of the universe, I'm blaming Peter Jackson until other evidence comes forth.

But on to Frodo:

Elijah Wood's eyes can get creepy, depending on the lighting and angle in which they are viewed. But other than that, I see no issue with Wood being the actor playing Frodo. It's one of those things where you never like the person chosen, but really can't tell how well others would have fared in the same film.

In the SbS, I'd named the character "Frodo Baggage" as he was not the everyman going above and beyond like in the books. My take on Book Frodo is that he's on a journey where he leaves bits and pieces of his hobbit self along the way, becoming more and more a leader/elf/wizard. Frodo chooses a hard road, and would have done it alone, and even sacrifice himself if need be - you can't but help of thinking of him as the hero, though not in the mold of an Aragorn.

In the movies, however, Baggage just whines a lot as he's carried by external forces from one situation to another.

- "Get off the Road!" It's stated with an unsaid, "...or I may burst into tears."

- Where's the resistance to the last at Weathertop?

- Being green sick was just wonderful, and when Arwen carried Baggage to the Ford...well, where's the Frodo that tells the Nine to go to Mordor?

- On cruel Caradhras it's Aragorn who gets Boromir to give the Ring back to Frodo...before the Hobbbit cried.

- The Watcher gets the whining going again, and in Moria it's Aragorn again that gets Frodo across the gap in that pre-Bridge scene.

- We get some relief from Baggage until Faramir shows up, and then Frodo starts begging the Steward's son to let him and the Ring go.

- Why exactly was Frodo holding the Ring out to the Winged Nazgul?

- To skip ahead, Frodo's wilting in the rays of the Eye floodlight is so silly sad that it makes me think that one day I too can become an actor.

To me, Peter Jackson took this character and completely changed it for the worse. Book Frodo was strong, under enormous pressure, and determined and persistent. Movie Frodo started weak and never improved but for brief moments.