View Single Post
Old 06-20-2007, 02:11 PM   #1
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
1420! The Slapsauce Fellows

No, this isn't exclusively about The Saucepan Man, although it is inspired by his nom d'internet.

We have the Tolkien Various-Agéd Clubs. We have the birthday and deathday felicitations threads. We have Barrow Benefactors and the Photo Page. But no Barrow Downs Roast Thread.* Have you ever want to roast* a fellow Downer in honour of his (or her) birthday? Or perhaps you wished to commemorate some significant achievement, such as parenthood, co-vivanthood, divorcedom, graduation?

Well, here we have a convivial thread where our fellow members can be fittingly and wittingly feted. Here's how it works. We come up with gently teasing epithets (no abuses, nothing derogatory), in honour of the member's activities here.

To be honest, this thread was inspired by Morthoron the Moriquendi's siggie and source. That list of insults is as eloquent as anything Blackadder ever devised. Our epithets won't be nearly as insulting or bawdy--remember, this is a Tolkien forum after all--but can demonstrate equally cleverness and humour while remaining within the bounds of such taste as Tolkien himself showed in his writing.

And so to begin humbly, in honour of The Saucepan Man's birthday, I offer these gentle and modest roasts* in place of toasts:

You are, sir, a roisterous bounder of authorial rights, a wallowing, walloping werewolfing wag, and a codswalloping courser of loyerly lays. Your health!

Each day will provide new victims, er, um, I mean, celebrants.

*Pondlish being changeable and variable as all language, the activity invited here is best defined as:

-to honor with or subject to a roast: Friends roasted the star at a charity dinner.
-a ceremonial tribute, usually concluding a banquet, in which the guest of honor is both praised and good-naturedly insulted in a succession of speeches by friends and acquaintances.
-to make fun of in an affectionate way

Any readerly insistence to interpret the word in any other way will receive an authoritative rebuke.

Last edited by Bęthberry; 06-21-2007 at 09:58 AM.
Bęthberry is offline   Reply With Quote