View Single Post
Old 06-14-2003, 08:28 AM   #71
Daniel Telcontar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Daniel Telcontar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In a chamber in Rivendell, four people were gathered around a table, if you did not count the many guards. On one side stood Gil-galad, High King and Commander of the elven armies. With him stood his most important councillor, Elrond.
On the other side of the table stod Elendil, High King and Commander of the human armies. With him stood his son and second-in-command, Isildur. On the table lay a map.

"Our soldiers will march down on the western side of the Misty Mountains, and in Loth-lorien meet with the soldiers Malgalad has promised me. Also Oropher has promised several thousand soldiers that are on their way to Loth-lorien." Gil-galad ceased to speak, and waited if any had something to add. Elendil was quick to speak; he was clearly disturbed by something.
"In Gondor, my son Anarion is holding back the enemy, but I am not sure for how long he can stop them. And also, with these troops moving from Mirkwood to Loth-lorien, Sauron will guess our intentions. Let us march now and quickly, before he can gather an army and attack our allies in Loth-lorien. If he can catch us while our armies are still divided, we will have great losses. Let us march south as planned, and after Loth-lorien we will march towards Morannon. Anarion will meet us north, on these plains, with all the troops he can spare from Gondor."

Gil-galad guessed that Elendil was deeply concerned for the attack that Gondor was suffering, yet it did not cloud his mind. His advice was spoken in wisdom, and Elrond nodded, approving of what had been said. Isildur did not move, nor speak; but when his and Gil-galad's eyes met, he could read the same desperation in Isildur's eyes. He knew what it was like, to have your home and realm attacked by the armies of Mordor. When it had happened to Gil-galad, the númenorians had aided him, and now it was time to return the favor.

"We will march south immediately. Elrond; tell the officers to prepare the men for departure. We will not spend more time here than what is necessary."

Elendil bowed before Gil-galad, as one equal to another, and left. Isildur nodded his head, and followed his father. Elrond bowed deeply before his lord and then went out to issue the orders of departure.

"So the war has begun," Gil-galad thought to himself. "Few will return, but many will gain from it. If not, then has it all been in vain? I hope not. But do the dead care?"

[ June 14, 2003: Message edited by: Daniel Telcontar ]