View Single Post
Old 09-25-2006, 08:10 AM   #72
Maédhros
The Kinslayer

Maédhros has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Maédhros
White Tree

Quote:
Well, I guess Elves are somewhat European. As LotR was to be a mythology for England the people who were supposed to be the most beatiful represented a caucasian/European model of beauty. That only makes sense. On the other hand, it might be that Tolkien simply held white skin more beautiful or "noble" and thus thought it befitted his Elves the best.

And is the appearance of the Avari who lived in south and east described anywhere? Maybe they were black?
Notice that you refer to LotR, while I refer to the nature of all the Elves since the making of the 3rd theme, in the Quenta Silmarillion. The thing that strikes me the most interesting, is while both Elves and Men were created in the same theme, all of the Elves are white, (not only the ones in LotR), yet Men, are racially different. (colour of their skin). (If someone has seen any evidence that there are multi racial elves, please show it, because I have missed that.)
That bit about the elves have always made me wonder.