View Single Post
Old 07-07-2003, 11:30 AM   #109
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

Maikadilwen has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Left alone in the tent after Arthain followed melost, Anwanelme slowly picked up her clothing, all the while listening to Arthain's cries outside. She wore a satisfied smile as she slipped into her dress, not bothering to lace it properly. It didn't really matter anyway, it was no secret.
Picking up her cloak, she carried it over her arm while using her hand to keep her dress closed, then pushed aside the tent-flap to step outside.

Once she emerged from the tent, she heard a gasp from some of the ladies nearby and then a sound like that of a wounded animal cut through the air, a sound filled with horror and Anwanelme turned her face to look at her mother who could only stare at her lightly dressed daughter.
She knew that her mother was no fool and so there was no doubt that she had immediately guessed what had happened, once she saw the state of her daughter's clothing.
Anwanelme's eyes fell on Arthain who was kneeling on the ground and she felt a sting in her heart, for a short moment feeling sorry for him. He had truly loved his wife, it had been obvious in every touch, in every kiss. The same way Melost should have loved her! But he had left her...

Her heart turned cold and her eyes hard at the thought, feeling no pity for the two men whose friendship she had just shattered.
Melost had left her and Arthain had been aware of it, of that she was sure. They deserved no better!
Slowly she stepped over to Arthain and leaned down, running a hand over his hair, then softly rested her cheek against it, feeling his hair tickle her face.

"You betrayed him even back in Imladris, Arthain. I saw it in your eyes. And he knew! He came to me, telling me what he had seen. And you acted as my friend but I was a fool to believe you could ever be. You betrayed me as well, Arthain! He told you his intentions and you said naught to me of it. You knew!"

Her voice was sweet as honey but her poisonous words stabbed in Arthain's heart like a knife. He made no attempt to get up, only raised his hand to push her away.
She let go of him before he could touch her and she walked over to the tent she shared with her mother, who stood motionless and for once silent, in the opening.
Anwanelme had barely reached the tent before she was met by a resounding slap and she looked at her mother for a moment, caught by surprise, then she brushed past her and disappeared into the tent, not once looking back at Arthain or to see if Melost was somewhere near.