View Single Post
Old 07-18-2002, 09:37 AM   #22
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Bethberry, this is a great topic!! I just reread LotR while away for a week’s vacation, so my impressions are fresh.

Child, much of what you said applies to me too. Because I change, there is always something that I perceive differently. Some aspects that were not previously important to me are now. I appreciate wise statements and the underlying wisdom of the story that I overlooked before. My identification with characters changes – I now feel closer to some that I did not when I read the book earlier. Yes, movie comparisons play a role too – PJ’s interpretation made me see Boromir differently, for example, and added to my perception of Aragorn.

This time, there was one huge change that made me read differently – the Barrow-Downs!! For the first time, reading LotR is not a solitary experience – I have someone to share with, to discuss with, and from whom I have learned much I didn’t know before. All the while I was reading, I thought: “This information could go on a thread I remember” or “What a great question for a quiz”. I followed a major theme that I plan to post when I have put my ideas into words. Also, because of this site, I read the Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, and reread Carpenter’s Tolkien biography. That has definitely given depth to my realization of the background history.

Another perception connects to what Liriodendron said – when first reading the book, I skimmed scenes to find out what happened. Now I take my time, noting details, reading the poetry out loud to myself, for lack of other interested listeners! I even read the battle scenes slowly to get all aspects straight, or I look at the maps when the journeys are described.

But what is it that makes me read a book again and again? It’s going back to meet dear friends. Birdie, you summed it up well:
Quote:
I am not reading a book….. I’m entering worlds.
I go back to old favorites when I feel lonely. Since I read a lot, there aren’t too many of those – only those that touch my heart are worth it. Narnia, C. S. Lewis’ space trilogy, Little Women (a remnant of my youth), Pride and Prejudice, Jane Eyre, The Far Pavilions by M. M. Kaye (historical novel, my favorite genre) are a few that occur to me. I haven’t had much access to English literature since living in Germany, but I appreciate hearing what you all read and will try to get some of those books.

Bethberry, in answer to your last question, I think both things happen - the increase of information adds to the subcreative aspect, and through my changing look on life, the story changes in meaning for me. It takes a tale with that richness of plot and characters before that can happen - which are rarely found in other books!

[ July 18, 2002: Message edited by: Estelyn Telcontar ]
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote