View Single Post
Old 07-06-2020, 06:46 AM   #14
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
This is actually beyond Version 2 and has even more recent updates and added songs, for which I was not able to find a recording on Youtube. Apparently the group that first did it is still going strong and performing the evolving version of the musical on stage, with some cast modifications (Sauron and Finrod are the same as Version 1, just 20 years older, but I think others are different).
I noticed this after posting! They have a whole song by Daeron, which makes the whole Love Polygon even more complicated.

Quote:
So, probably a translation issue; he wants to marry off one of them and crown the other, but you're right, it still leaves Caranthir with naught.
Definitely a subtitle issue then.

Quote:
Same lyrics in Russian, probably vastly different in translation, but you're right: this is a LOTR-Galadriel, leaving the world to mortals. I like this version of the song better in execution than Version 2 though.
I think I'd just lost focus by this point in V2. I know I was focussing on different things in the two versions; that's why there's comments on things that were actually in both still showing up in my second commentary.

Also! With lots of English text available (both subtitles + Google Translate), I tried my hand at rendering part of the musical into singable English form. It's the first verse of Finrod's lament to Amarie (just after his initial duet with Beren), because a) I like that song, and b) it has a pretty simple structure to work from.

In the hour when slumber calls
And the cloak of Night dulls the air*
I don’t see these fine-carven walls
For I know that you are still there.

I know I can never return
That my heart lies cold by the way
There is no escaping my fate
But in my waking memory I yearn**

I cannot bring myself to curse your choice
I cannot curse my own unchanging nature
Your love sings to my heart, a whispered voice***
The time for turning from the truth is over

The Grinding Ice burns crimson in the sun
A boundary of blood to keep us parted
My sorrow’s not that I go on alone****
My sorrow’s that our song was left unfinished…

In the interests of meter and rhyme, some of the lines have been shuffled around, and a few have been changed. I regret losing the specific ice reference in stanza 2, but I need the semi-rhyme way/fate. My abuse of the rhyme scheme is validated by Finrod himself, who at one point rhymes '-om' with '-a' (and does it very well). ^_^

*Since the musical left Luthien's nightcloak out, I felt the need to put in a reference to it.

**I have no idea what the original of this line means. The subtitles seem to think Finrod says he's in a land of waking memory, which... I don't really understand? Is he talking about Valinor or Beleriand? Or what? Anyway, since I needed a rhyme with either 'return' or 'turn back', I went with yearn. Probably my weakest line.

***I know this is a bad translation (Version 2 runs "One soul can only serve one love"), but I consider the 'choice' line more important, so needed to get the rhyme.

****These could also be 'My grief is' etc; I'd have to sing both versions to see what works better.

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote