View Single Post
Old 09-21-2012, 05:53 AM   #21
Zigūr
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Zigūr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Zigūr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Radagast most certainly was a White Council member. And he certainly played some role in the attack on Dol Guldur - after all, he lived basically next door and could, if nothing else, provide some "logistics plan" etc. And Radagast certainly didn't go into "hiding" or anything by the time of LotR - not from the Council members, anyway - he just neglected his mission. But as we know, he still responded to his superior's (Saruman's) call to fetch Gandalf, and likewise responded to Gandalf's call to gather messages and send them via birds to Orthanc...
At the risk of being pedantic, for which I apologise in advance, is it ever stated anywhere that Radagast specifically was a White Council member? Aren't the only absolutely one hundred percent confirmed White Council members Saruman, Gandalf, Elrond, Galadriel and Cķrdan? Given that we know virtually nothing about the exact nature of the Council's attack on Dol Guldur it worries me how PJ is going to interpret it. But you do have a point, given Rhosgobel's proximity to Mirkwood I suppose it makes sense to give him some role. I always got the impression Radagast was a character who could have been included more overtly in a number of events or referenced by other characters (Treebeard or Bombadil, perhaps) if maybe Professor Tolkien had been more interested in him as a character.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
What tomb? (I am completely ignorant regarding all movie rumors, so excuse my lack of knowledge.) Isn't it just something that happens in Dol Guldur?
I'm not sure to be honest; I'd just heard it mentioned regarding the footage of the Gandalf and Radagast subplot that they go to a "Ringwraith tomb" and that Galadriel in one scene says something about the Witch-King and the other Wraiths being "sealed away" by the Dśnedain of the North or something to that effect. If this explanation is indeed given in the film it certainly raises the question of how they explain Minas Morgul being captured if the Black Captain spent about one thousand years stuck in a tomb...
Zigūr is offline   Reply With Quote