View Single Post
Old 01-14-2008, 06:44 AM   #120
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sauron the White has just left Hobbiton.
I realize that people are expressing thier honest opinion about a future HOBBIT film and certainly have a right to it. After reading many of these posts over the last couple of weeks I do get a feeling that many here want a Jackson HOBBIT film and its follow-up to fail and fail badly. Several seem to be setting the table with a variety of expectations praying that the films bomb. Perhaps some see it as revenge for the super successful LOTR films that they themselves cannot come to appreciate. Some here seem to see Jackson as some type of public sinner or heretic and want him to pay for his transgressions.

Several posts even mention how business will not be very good due to various changes in the market but then seem to want it both ways saying that the film will only be a success if it dumbs down everything, panders to an audience of 16 year old American yahoos with 80 IQ's, and turns the HOBBIT into another chapter of the FRIDAY 13TH series.

People criticize Jacksons use of Gimli in LOTR - too much slapstick and too many crude bodily jokes. Fair enough. But now in davems post we get this

Quote:
Another problem will be in expectations - fans of the LotR movies want Aragorn & Legolas doing their 'tricks', wheras, if the movies are at all faithful to the book, what they'll get is a sweet little Bilbo & a troop of comical Dwarves.
First of all, what "tricks" did Aragorn do? I realize that some objected to Legolas surfshield routine and the Mumak kill (I personally loved the latter and was indifferent to the former) but I do not know what either has to do with HOBBIT since neither character is in the book. But at the heart of this comment is the idea that in LOTR Gimli was unfairly used for humorous purposes while in HOBBIT mean old Jackson will make the movie so serious that all those funny Dwarves will not be able to do their usual vaudeville routines.

Please make up your mind.

I suspect - not expect, not predict, and certainy do not know for a fact - that Jackson will attempt to make parts of the HOBBIT a bit more serious in tone to make it consistent with LOTR as a franchise series. I also suspect we will see some Dwarven humor along the way. Humor is by far the hardest thing to do in films since everyone has such a different taste for it. Heavy dramatic moments pretty much work or they do not. Emotional love scenes either pull at the heart strings and make you cry or they do not. But humor is so varied and so different depending on the person, that it poses far different problems for a filmmaker. My grown children tell me that TALADEGA NIGHTS is a very funny movie. I find it terrible and there is barely a chuckle in the entire film. I found BORAT to be completely hysterical while others look at each other with mystified looks upon their frowning faces not getting it at all. Who is to say what humor works and what does not? But rest assured, there will probably be Dwarven humor in HOBBIT.

I too hope for some of the HOBBITS sweetness and lighter moments to be a part of the film. I dearly hope so. And I do not think I will be let down in that hope. Just as their were many sweet moments in the LOTR films, that element will be there.
Sauron the White is offline   Reply With Quote