View Single Post
Old 01-14-2008, 03:14 AM   #118
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I've just read a piece about Elizabeth: The Golden Age on the BBC site. It also did very badly indeed in the US. Apparently there has been a shift in the American film market towards 'light entertainment' and 'family' films away from drama, fantasy and historical fare - the main audience of young men wanting noise and violence however, still remains prime.

I think that's very telling about why films such as LotR and Star Wars do very well in America as opposed to fantasy like Stardust and The Golden Compass - the former are stories about boys/men and are stuffed to the gills with Noise and SFX and belching dwarves and whatnot. The typical audience of youths can just about stomach a few minutes of Frodo being 'gay' or Arwen drifting around wistfully in a frock so long as we quickly get back to Aragorn whacking heads off Orcs. You can at least get on with txting ur m8s when Sam and Frodo are having a snog-up

But seriously...I do think it is the subject matter and how it is presented. The Golden Compass remember, features a girl as its main character, which would turn boys right off from watching the film; hey, she doesn't even make the concession of being dressed in a mini-skirt and bra top! Stardust is too far into the realms of Faerie to be a boys' film, and things like Elizabeth are just far too wordy anyway.

That does not bode well for The Hobbit. They will be forced to go down the belching dwarves and hack 'n' slash action if they want to hook in the youths who make these things profitable and The Hobbit is far too gentle a story to take that. One of the things Jackson realised he had to achieve with Rings was to make it so that the enormous community of book fans would not rip it to shreds - he knew that if that happened, it would fail and become a curiosity like the Bakshi film. So, the quest for the Hobbit being both good and profitable, in the words of Cate Blanchett, stands on a knife edge...

Of course, that horrible thing Branding comes into it. Studios are now into Brand Names and making cruddy sequels and threequels and the mess that was made of Pirates springs to mind, coupled with how the X-Men and Spider-Man series have been flogged to death now, and how the originally funny American Pie series was flogged so hard there weren't even its dusty bones left. So in the search for easy money the studios go for 'more of the same'...but they don't bank on the potential audience getting bored and wanting something new, not having more Brand Names thrown at them. And that boredom could cover the whole genre not just more films in an ongoing series.

For me, I don't understand why there is so much glee that fantasy films have been doing badly! Shooting oneself in foot springs to mind...