View Single Post
Old 11-24-2017, 05:53 AM   #80
Michael Murry
Haunting Spirit

Michael Murry is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sex, Violence, Soap Opera Drama and Pretending the Endless Hobbit movies don't exist

I just caught a couple of interesting comments regarding the "Lord of the Rings" television stuff soon to come:

Quote:
Amazon is turning The Lord of the Rings into a TV show
Just in case the movies didn’t do it for you
by Bryan Bishop, The Verge (November 13, 2017)
In the statement announcing the news, the company clarifies that the new show will “explore new storylines preceding J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Fellowship of the Ring,” with a potential spinoff series also included as part of the deal. That means Amazon is going to be making a prequel to the classic tale of Frodo Baggins, offering Amazon plenty of leeway to create its own characters and take on the world. If Amazon is looking for an opportunity to add the sex, violence, and soap opera drama to Tolkien’s world that have made shows like Game of Thrones so successful, this kind of approach would certainly offer the opportunity.
Oh, great: "Sex, violence, and soap opera drama." Just what the "Lord of the Rings" brand needs.

And then we have this:

Quote:
Amazon confirms a 'Lord of the Rings' TV series is in the works
The rumors are true.
By Swapna Krishna, endgadget.com (November 13, 2017)
https://www.engadget.com/2017/11/13/...son-tv-series/

It's important to note that this series "will explore new storylines preceding J.R.R. Tolkien's The Fellowship of the Ring," rather than re-tell the stories depicted onscreen in Peter Jackson's trilogy. The deal, which commits to multiple seasons for the show, also includes a possible spin-off series. Given the popularity of Lord of the Rings as a franchise (we'll just pretend that the endless The Hobbit movies don't exist), the rumors of Amazon prepping a free ad-supported video service couldn't come at a better time.
I hadn't thought of this, but upon reflection, it makes perfect sense: We'll just pretend that the endless The Hobbit movies don't exist Therefore, anything before the Fellowship of the Ring looks like fair game. I think I've got it now.