View Single Post
Old 12-24-2004, 09:06 AM   #26
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420!

This might help a bit Eomer. In the King of the Golden Hall, where Hama asks Aragorn to lay down Anduril....

Quote:
"It is the will of Theoden," said Hama.

"It is not clear to me that the will of Theoden son of Thengel, even though he be lord of the Mark, should prevail over the will of Aragorn son of Arathorn, Elendil's heir in Gondor."

"This is the house of Theoden, not of Aragorn, even were he King of Gondor in the seat of Denethor," said Hama, stepping swiftly before the doors and barring the way. His sword was now in his hand and the point towards the strangers.

"This is idle talk," said Gandalf. "Needless is Theoden's demands, but it is useless to refuse. A king will have his way in his own hall, be it folly or wisdom."
Here Aragorn is trying to inforce power that he doesn't even have yet. He's not even King of Gondor yet, and he's trying to "override" Theoden's orders. Grant it Theoden's orders are petty, but Aragorn is simply saying "I King of Gondor (although he isn't yet) say I have more power then Theoden, in his own country."
I brought this up in another thread, and as someone points out, Aragorn shows his empire building desires. Like he wants to control both Gondor and Rohan, and he's trying to do it here with power he doesn't have. Lucky Gandalf is there, and GO HAMA! for standing your ground. (I never understood why PJ killed him off in the Warg scene).
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote