View Single Post
Old 12-13-2004, 09:34 AM   #8
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

SamwiseGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

It is interesting that when one turns to the dictionary the definition of pride given is:
Quote:
pride n. too high an opinion of oneself; inordinate self-esteem; worthy self-esteem; feeling of elation or great satisfaction; something causing this- v. refl. take pride
interesting because it gives no clear cut answer, and in fact covers all the aspects that have been noted above.

One thing which would be interesting: to see would be just how many times Tolkien described his heroes as proud. I have a sneaking suspicion that the good Professor probably never used the term in an explicitly positive manner. Now, this may seem like a bold statement, but let me explain myself.

Eomer , you earlier referred to Tolkien's religion. As a devout Catholic, pride would have been a selfish trait, and as Boromir88 ably pointed out, it was one of the seven deadly sins. I therefore am drawn to the conclusion that Tolkien would have sub-consciously had no option but to use the term negatively due to his upbringing. (Which in itself raises a debate as regards relativism, but that's another thread entirely! )

Look at Frodo: at which point in the books could you describe him as proud? I'd submit at no point whatsoever, other than perhaps when The Ring overpowered him, and it exaggerated his sense of pride- increasing his own self-confidence to ridiculous levels, but I personally think that that isn't really his pride which is being warped, it is just his self-confidence, and those are, I would suggest, two different things.

Also, Eomer, your question as to whether pride and arrogance are intrinsically linked. I would say no in the normal sphere of language, but there is a possibility that they may be in the works of Tolkien. Arrogance has an edge of aggression to it, and self-esteem beyond even excess. There's an air of conceitedness to arrogance. Agressive conceit, perhaps. Now, in the normal world you could call someone proud, but it would not necessarily lead to the conclusion that they were arrogant. However, in Tolkien I think the two may be inextricable. On the premiss of above, I submit that those who may have been described as proud (Saruman, Denethor etc.) were also arrogant. After all, it takes a certain kind of mindset to honestly believe you can take on Sauron and win, no sweat.

Well, I've rambled on a bit, but I hope I've said something at least a little worthwhile.