View Single Post
Old 12-09-2004, 12:58 PM   #2
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420!

Pride is one of the seven deadly sins. You might take interest in viewing these two threads, pride is briefly talked about...

Seven deadly sins~Squatter of Amon Rhun

7 Deadly sins vs. 7 Heavenly virtues~Boromir88

The way I view it is there is pride and arrogance. I think one can have a certain amount of pride in them, it's a good trait to have. Then there's arrogance when you are just so full of yourselves. Of course many people associate Boromir with this trait. I think he is more "proud" then the other members, and in the end it very well could cost him.

However, a lot of people think just because he brags about Minas Tirith, means he's arrogant, talking as if Minas Tirith is the best. I don't view that as any different then me saying the US is the best place to live, it's just patriotic. Surely people from Germany, France, Czech Republic...etc will disagree, but it's a matter of patriotism.

It is said that patriotism was a reason for WW1. Everyone was so proud in their nation as being the best, being better then everyone else, they got into this arms race competition. So, I can see how Tolkien would look down on pride, since it is said to be one of the causes of WW1. For the time he was living in, I think it was common for people to look down on pride.

I hope that made sense .
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote