Thread: "A diversion."
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2004, 05:22 PM   #32
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elianna has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I was wondering why so many hated the "A diversion" line. My brothers hated that it was poorly edited: Did you notice that with that line AND Gimli's "Let him stay there. Let him rot. Why do we care?", with both those lines, immediately afterwards, both Gimli and Legolas were back in their previous positions? Personally, I was annoyed at the line seemed to only be to give Orli something to say during the conversation.

To me, the more annoying line of Legolas' is "The way is shut. It was made by those who are dead, and the dead keep it. The way is shut." Okay, the ELF is repeating himself in the space of three sentences? The old hobo who actually says it in the book, yeah, he'd repeat himself within three sentences, but not an elf! He's reading the carvings? Aragorn's been to Rohan before and would be more likely to know what it means. Then the King of the Dead says the line again not two minutes later. (By the way, could anyone else not prevent themselves from thinking "I'm disinclined to acquiesce..." when Lego tries to shoot the King of the Dead?)

I'm very much looking forward to Troy. I read The Illiad (as I was supposed to two years ago for school....) and was completely thrilled to imagine Orli as Paris. HA! the wimp!.....

Speaking for myself and my friend Kira, as older teenage girls, we hate Orli, or at least love to hate him, because usually someone hearing the conversation will love him. To me his looks are disturbing: I can't stand to look at him for very long.
Elianna is offline   Reply With Quote