View Single Post
Old 12-22-2007, 08:02 PM   #24
Galendor
Haunting Spirit

Galendor has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron the White View Post
My idea would give the Estate a seat at the table, a voice when the writing and filming was done. It would not give them control but it would allow them to give advice, make a case, work with the writers and others to come up with alternatives to things like Osgiliath, beating of Gollum, and other things that drive purists crazy.

Perhaps I believe too much in people. I tend to believe that when peope of fair mind and good intention work together, better things happen than when they do not.
I agree in principle, but the Tolkien Estate probably realized "in for a penny, in for a pound" and kept their distance from Jackson's movies for such a reason. Imagine what could/would happen if they agreed to be impotent "advisors" on the future The Hobbit movies. Jackson apparently wants these movies to directly tie in to his LOTR movies - I believe he will be motivated to include characters such as his Legolas, Arwen, Elrond, and Aragorn.

So imagine a worse-case scenario where Jackson is planning the death of Smaug. Who is this "Bard" character he asks - he has little use in MY movies! My audience wants to see Orlando Bloom as Legolas! He has "star power". It would be better if he killed Smaug - Legolas can ride in standing on the back of an eagle, do a death defying aerial leap onto Smaug's head, and deliver his signature triple-point-blank arrows into the head kill-shot! The Tolkien Estate "advisors" might cry no, you cannot do this. But Jackson could counter by saying this is best for my movies and my main audience, since they love movie Legolas. And there would be nothing the Tolkien Estate could do to stop it.

Then, no doubt, New Line and Jackson would still tout the fact that the movies were made with direct consultation from the Tolkien Estate, who would be ashamed of their pointless involvement.

STW, do you think Jackson is "of fair mind and good intention" in regards to these movies? He may have good intentions, I do not doubt it, but surely his primary intention is to make money, and have these future films serve as prequel vehicles to his LOTR movies. These intentions may cause him to take liberties with The Hobbit and LOTR book appendices that the Tolkien Estate would not approve of. So I can understand why they would simply not want any part in the creation of the movies.