View Single Post
Old 10-04-2007, 07:18 PM   #5
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sauron the White has just left Hobbiton.
Without editorial comment, here are all the comments left at the EW site --- and I copied the entire first page.... this should let you know what the average reader of EW thinks about this.

Quote:
Add Your CommentCommentsEnglish Professor in California Thu, Oct 04, 07 at 09:02 PM
MUST BE JACKSON. Give him whatever he wants. STUPID, Stupid studio people.

Tiria Thu, Oct 04, 07 at 07:48 PM
New Line has been screwing over Jackson and the actors the entire time. It's ironic, I suppose, that they escaped the clutches of the Weinsteins only to be sucked in by the behemoth that is TimeWarner. Honestly, as much as I would love for Jackson and New Line to come to an agreement soon (especially to work out details of an HD-DVD set for Rings) for the sake of The Hobbit, I actually hope this legal process stalls out for a couple more years so Zaentz can give the rights to another studio.

SueS Thu, Oct 04, 07 at 07:10 PM
No Jackson, no buy ticket. Actually, I haven't gone to a New Line film since Shaye's outburst about Jackson a while back

.Katy Thu, Oct 04, 07 at 07:00 PM
I am glad to see some movement on the Hobbit front. Of course, I'd go see a live action movie whoever the director was, but I think Peter Jackson would be the best choice. Look at what changing directors has done to the Harry Potter films; they just don't work together. Now I hope this movie will get done soon, as some of the actors aren't getting any younger.

Tulip Proudfoot Thu, Oct 04, 07 at 06:53
PM
I would love to have PJ direct "The Hobbit" and to use Weta and Weta Digital to do the FX. I would be loath to see "The Hobbit" made by anyone else.

Aiwendil Thu, Oct 04, 07 at 06:44 PM
I'd actually prefer that someone else directed The Hobbit. I just can't see Jackson pulling it off - The Hobbit doesn't strike me as his style. I suppose I also think he's somewhat overrated as a director.

StillCrazy Thu, Oct 04, 07 at 06:27 PM
I would like to see PJ and crew do it. But there are a handful of others that could do just as good of job. I'll see it no matter who does it, and hope its not as bad as the 70's one.

ElflingImp Thu, Oct 04, 07 at 06:20 PM
If Jackson does'nt do it I won't see it,it would break my heart.

viggolover1 Thu, Oct 04, 07 at 06:01 PM
I will see it only if Peter Jackson directs it. I started reading the books because of the movies. Even my husband who is not a big fanatic on going to the movies and for him a movies is just that a movie, was move by them and thinks that LOTR are the best movies ever!!!

Janne Thu, Oct 04, 07 at 05:59 PM
Im a longtime Tolkien fan, but I honestly think I wouldn't bother seeing a Hobbit movie directed by anyone but Peter Jackson. I have such a place in my heart for the LotR movies that I wouldn't want to spoil it with what must be a lesser vision.

Anonymous Thu, Oct 04, 07 at 05:27 PM
Peter Jackson is the only one to make the Hobbit! Middle-Earth would never be the same with someone else! I would not see the Hobbit in a theatre or on dvd/cable if Peter Jackson does not do the movie's! It would be so AWESOME to here that the Hobbit and second movie is really really going to be made by Jackson! Be still my heart and 3 cheers for Jackson!

Rian Thu, Oct 04, 07 at 05:09 PM
Oh still my beating heart! Could it be....The long expected party! Oh please please, with Jackson, Ian as Ganfalf, our beloved Gollum, Elrond, Weta and all the rest...and soooon!

Ann Thu, Oct 04, 07 at 05:06 PM
No, Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh and Phillipa Boynes MUST write it, Peter must direct, Weta Workshop must do the other stuff, everybody must come back from LOTR. Otherwise, it won't be the same. And Ian McKellen MUST play Gandalph. Get real New Line, you may hate him but he made you billions.

Horsegirl. Thu, Oct 04, 07 at 05:06 PM
I think that Jackson is the only man for the job- or at least(the very least) as "overseer" of the teams that co-directed the Trilogy with him. His vision of Middle Earth fulfilled all my expectations, and one of the key sequences from the "Hobbit" has already been filmed: Bilbo finding the Ring. Add to that another splendiforous score by Howard Shore,and life will be good...

John Thu, Oct 04, 07 at 04:19 PM
Um...what, exactly, was the point of this article? This has all been known for years now, and the only new 'information' was that "something might, maybe, could, possibly happen within the next year" in the articles' conclusion. Thats some crack reporting there, EW.

Pipkin Skytook Thu, Oct 04, 07 at 04:19 PM
Jackson should TOTALLY do the hobbit. Or eles we won't go to see. Isn't that right, preciousss?

Mells Thu, Oct 04, 07 at 04:09 PM
The Rings books were too expansive for me to get into but the movies are a work of art. Unless Peter Jackson makes The Hobbit I can't say I'd be as excited to see it. Jackson has truly immersed himself in middle-earth and any other director will doubtlessly be compared to Jackson and be found wanting.

anon Thu, Oct 04, 07 at 04:02 PM
Only Jackson can direct it. Period. If anyone else does it, no matter how good, we'll always wonder (as fans) what if... what if... what if... Also, am I the only person in the world that thinks Sam Raimi is a mediocre director? So he has success because of Spiderman. Is that because of the comic or his directing skills? Darkman was a lousy film.

Ultimate Warrior Thu, Oct 04, 07 at 03:53 PM
Greedy ****.....just do the movie ****

hobbitssunkenmeadow_rd Thu, Oct 04, 07 at 03:51 PM
What a question...I want Jackson to direct it, of course, but I found JRR Tolkien via Jackson's FotR and was hooked on the books. My curiosity would get the best of me and I would have to see it no matter who directed it. I'm weak that way.

ObiDon_Kenobi Thu, Oct 04, 07 at 03:40 PM
If Peter Jackson made it, I'd see it, no questions asked. If anyone else made it, I'd refuse to see it at the theatre, and wait until it came out on cable.

Last edited by Sauron the White; 10-04-2007 at 07:49 PM.
Sauron the White is offline   Reply With Quote