View Single Post
Old 01-11-2006, 09:38 PM   #73
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Menelcar’s eyes glinted at Hereric’s remark. Just who did this man think he was? “And I, Captain” – the word was a meaningless appellation – “marvel that you should think that simply because I did not promptly bring the matter to you, you think that I had not noticed.” In truth, he had not immediately noticed the slowing in speed; it had been more of a slow recognition, known but not wholly realized. He moved as if to step past the captain to stand next to Telumehtar at the rail but paused, leaning closer to Hereric. “Do not think that I would bring all of my concerns and observations to you.”

Hereric was saved from responding – or perhaps Menelcar was saved from his response – by a shout down from the watchman. “Four ships in the bay!” Four! So much for his “two, maybe three,” mused Menelcar, now standing beside the king. “That should work out,” commented Menelcar.

Telumehtar nodded, taking his eyes away from the horizon. “What we will have to do,” he said, speaking more for Hereric’s benefit than Menelcar’s, as they had already discussed this, “is try to prevent their ships from leaving the bay – otherwise they will be able to take news back to Umbar.”

“Of course,” answered Hereric, showing a deference that Menelcar had never been given, and Menelcar did not understand it, though it had always been this way. Even before Telumehtar was king and he, counselor, Telumehtar had always been the friendly, magnetic one, while Menelcar was either disliked or tolerated, or occasionally respected for his position but never himself. And while most of him did not care, a small part of him reared up against this injustice and, a malevolent spark in his eyes, his gaze settled on Hereric for just a few moments.

He forced his train of thought back to the coming battle, the far more important issue at hand. Personal vendettas could wait till later. While he felt some anticipation, his feelings were not nearly as intense as the excited tension throughout the ship. Battle was a necessity and little more. He did not relish the killing and the blood. He had heard the stories of the Corsairs; many were true, but just as many were not. What was more, it was not the common soldiers and the slaves that needed to be killed but their cruel and merciless leaders, yet he knew that to get at the latter, the former must be killed. A pitiless evil circle was war, yet a necessary one.

The king finished explaining the final pre-battle tactics to Hereric, who in turn departed to relay the instructions to the officers. Menelcar and Telumehtar both turned again to face the front. Any time now, the alarm would be raised in Pelargir and their approach would be known. Then it would be a race against time, yet all they could do was wait…