View Single Post
Old 01-07-2006, 01:36 PM   #66
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
With no other choice than to endure this conversation, Menelcar found himself studying the captain closely, half wondering whether he might find some new angle of the captain’s dull personality. What he saw rather amused him, but also bored him, as it was nothing new. While never disrespectful, Hereric unsurprisingly did not appear to like him very much. Rather than paying close attention to their conversation, Menelcar mentally reviewed their previous encounters, and from the slight changes in the captain’s demeanor, Menelcar thought he detected some resentment. Yet Hereric never seemed to do anything about it, leading Menelcar to the conclusion that the man was weak-willed: able enough, perhaps, to lead his own ship, but not so bold as to take his own actions while under the command of those higher up.

Menelcar stopped his meanderings as he realized that Hereric was replying at length, and that he probably ought to know what the other man was saying if he was to respond appropriately and, more importantly, report it back to the king.

“…However, as I just said, I don’t think there are going to be many ships at all, and landing men will be unnecessary,” concluded the captain. A rather over-confident assumption, thought Menelcar, even if it was likely enough to be so.

“And how close to the city will we have to be before we know for sure? Right up upon the city?” asked Menelcar. “More specifically, will we know before they know that we are coming?” He thought he already knew the answer, having looked at several maps with the king just recently.

“Well, it depends on how good their look-outs are, but I would guess probably not,” admitted Hereric. “The river is mostly straight approaching Pelargir.”

Having received the answer he was looking for, Menelcar sighed slightly as if this was the fault of the captain. Such a plan as approaching in the darkness – Menelcar thought that was what Hereric had said – would then be little good, since their coming would be expected. “I see.” A pause stretched out, designed to be just long enough to make Hereric wonder if he was supposed to say something. Just when he looked like he might, Menelcar said, “Very well. We will have to hope that there are few ships and plan for a quick, heavy strike. If not – hopefully we will know sooner rather than later.”