View Single Post
Old 01-06-2006, 11:18 PM   #65
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Alcarillo has just left Hobbiton.
The Ráca sailed peacefully along the Anduin. The Númenna, a swifter ship, had sailed between the Ráca and Cuivië, and Captain Vórimandur, with his competitive nature combined with the idle hours of sailing, wanted to pass the Númenna and resume his position behind the King's ship. He leaned casually against the foremast, eyeing his unknowing opponent. Occasionally he would take a walk around the deck and point out where the deck-scrubbers had missed a spot, or he would tell Caradhril to steer the ship a little closer to the riverbank, or order the sailors to move around some sails. Captain Vórimandur returned to the foremast to watch the Númenna and the curious plume of smoke over the horizon (a sign of Corsiars?). The day went on in this half-idle way for hours.

It was sometime about noon that the Cuivië ran up a collection of flags. All of the ships in the fleet paused for a moment to watch each flag hoisted into the air, and everybody on deck paused to watch. All eyes were upon the Cuivië. Finally, the full set of flags were fluttering in the sky, and Captain Vórimandur's heart leapt to see that they spelled out war. Finally! The first confrontation with the Corsairs was soon to come! Captain Vórimandur leapt from the foremast, and standing upon the forecastle, shouted to the crew, "All officers to the wardroom!" The entire ship was buzzing with the news, and sailors climbed the masts, trying to peer into the distance and catch a glimpse of the enemy. The relaxing voyage down the Anduin had turned in an instant into a busy hurry. Captain Vórimandur ducked below decks, and made his way to the wardroom.

He was pleased to see that many had arrived before him, and that a helpful servant had already laid charts of the Anduin and of Pelargir on the table. The windows were opened to let as much sunlight as possible enter the room. After another minute, Sergeant Nillendion arrived, completing the set of officers. "I've already set the soldiers to work gathering arms on deck, sir," he said.

"Excellent! Now, down to business," the Captain said. He leaned upon the table with one arm and his free hand traced along the curving Anduin on the maps. "We are here?" He said with a glance towards Caradhril, who nodded. "Hmmm . . . well, the Corsairs are almost certainly at Pelargir. We have some time before we reach the city. Sergeant, after gathering arms, put your best archers up in the masts. Tell them to fire as soon as we're within range, and tell them to try not to hurt the slaves. If we board a corsair ship they can make excellent allies. Many times I have seen the slaves rise up against their masters during a battle. I tell you, they are a force to be reckoned with, able to turn the tide of battle like the hand of Eru!" Captain Vórimandur cleared his throat and straightened his body. "Anyways, I would like Berengar the carpenter, Arundel the sail-maker, and the surgeon to be notified that we will be entering a battle soon. And please make sure the rest of the sailors are notified and that all weapons are placed within reach. I also want buckets of water available to quench any fires. You are dismissed." And with that the officers filed out of the room, and Captain Vórimandur left to don his shining breastplate in his office.

Last edited by Alcarillo; 01-16-2006 at 09:53 PM.