View Single Post
Old 01-04-2006, 05:21 PM   #62
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Menelcar nodded impatiently at Hereric’s response. “That would be well,” answered Telumehtar.

“We will be in touch,” said Menelcar, his tone suggesting that it may or may not be so. They separated, the king and Menelcar heading for their cabin and the Captain off to communicate with the other ships.

Alone together in their cabin, there was little else for them to do but begin discussing battle tactics in earnest. It was difficult to plan a battle, as they had woefully little information to use – they did not even know whether the battle would be fought primarily on the river or on land, though it was hoped that they would be able to move off the ships, as the Corsairs’ superior ship skills would give them the advantage. Without knowing more, they decided fairly quickly that a straightforward attack would be best, but that if they could swing some of their ships around to the southern end of the city and flank the Corsairs, then they would. All this and more Menelcar printed into his small book, and for a while he was almost able to forget that they were still on board this infernal boat.

“We will still want this to be as surprising as possible,” said the king after a while. “Hopefully, they will not be expecting us so soon – news of this would not have reached Minas Tirith for a while yet, and it would have taken us longer to muster the troops.

Menelcar nodded. “Of course. Although it may be a rather futile wish, we might hope that they are lax in their lookouts. But more likely they will know of our coming all too soon. It is difficult to hide a fleet so large.”

“Yet maybe the river itself will help us, as the captain suggested,” said the king. “His help may be invaluable.”

“It could be so,” responded Menelcar neutrally.

“In fact, why don’t you go talk to him now?” continued the king. “I’m sure he would appreciate all the time we can give him – and you are certain not to forget any details, what with all your records, as I would be sure to do.”

“You underestimate yourself,” he answered, returning the king’s easy smile. Inwardly, however, he protested the prospect of more time spent with the dull captain. He rose to his feet. “I will return when I have heard what he has to say.”

He let himself out of the cabin to find Hereric. Here we go with Round Three…