View Single Post
Old 11-22-2005, 06:09 PM   #56
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Alcarillo has just left Hobbiton.
The soft yellow light of a Gondorian sunrise glowed through the tiny window of Captain Vórimandur's cabin. It was a small cabin, but still larger than what his sailors had. A chest of drawers lay nailed against the wall under the window, and next to it, between the drawers and the opposite wall, swung the captain's cot. It was a rectangular box, like a coffin, but it was painted yellow and swung from the ceiling by several ropes. It was filled with a thin mattress, a creamy-white pillow and blanket, and with the sleeping body of Captain Vórimandur. He stirred as the sun lit his room. With a tired groan and an agile roll over the edge of the cot he landed on the floor, catlike, on his feet, standing there in his nightgown. He changed out of it and donned his stately captain's garb, every piece with its own special place in the drawers. And finally, with a flourish he wrapped a black cape about his shoulders, to add an air of authority. And with this final touch, he stepped out of his cabin, into his office, and then out onto the deck of the Ráca.

The deck gave a wonderful view of what was left of the sunrise. Orange and red clouds drifted lazily in the East as the golden sun rose higher and higher into the sky. The rigging of the ship was sharply silhouetted against the fiery eastern sky. Men gazed from their views high up among the sails, captivated for a single moment from their work by this fire in the East. Captain Vórimandur paused for a moment to reflect upon the sunrise, but soon he turned to Caradhril.

"Caradhril, how far are we from Pelargir?" Pelargir was the closest major city, and also a great port. Hopefully the fleet would take a short stop there before sailing to Umbar.

Caradhril stood by the wheel, supervising a young sailor turn it this way and then that way to follow the curves of the Anduin. "We're not far, sir! We'll reach it later today, no doubt." Captain Vórimandur gave a nod of satisfaction. "And, sir, if you don't mind me askin', you will, if it pleases, ask the Cuivië if the king's-" here Caradhril stepped closer and whispered, "-crazy, won't you? I'm nearly certain . . ."

Captain Vórimandur gave a glare that told Caradhril to not speak of the subject again. "If we happen to pull alongside her, I shall make sure to bring your story up with the captain. Now I think your little student there is steering the ship a little too starboard." Caradhril turned to adjust the ship's course. Vórimandur had completely forgotten last night's story in the wardroom, and doubted its authenticity, but still, Caradhril would not lie. It must've only been a trick of the light.

Last edited by Alcarillo; 11-30-2005 at 05:29 PM.