View Single Post
Old 08-17-2003, 02:29 PM   #24
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe

Hey Lyra! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? Yes. Which one. Too many. Wolf Run, Search for the Lost Messenger, Quest for the Ainereg, Truth in a Dark Place, Dark Seduction, Corsairs and Corsets...did I forget any?

How many RPG’s on the Barrow Downs are you currently involved in? Uh, two...yes, two...I think... (Dark Seduction is going to end soon, you know)

Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn or in The White Horse in Rohan? Yes, the Green Dragon

Name: Dury Greenhand

Race: Hobbit, married into both the Brandybuck and Took line

Weapons: his father's old short sword

Appearance: Dury stands at the shorter end of average hobbit height and is quite prickly about it. His light, rosy brown hair always pokes out in various directions, sitting atop his head as a mass of messy shaggy curls. He is a bit pudgy around the waste, and would be much more so if it were not for his wife. Mirda's cooking was excellent, of course, but she has a strong arm and a very hard wooden spoon. She has also threatened to purchase a small, cast iron pot. But, this is Dury's biography, after all, so we will continue with his usual apparel. He most often wears a bright yellow or dark green shirt with his light brown or light gray trousers. But sometimes he will wear a light brown or off-white shirt with his green and blue plaid trousers or with his red, blue, and green plaid ones. He always wears his suspenders, though, to match his shirt. Whenever he travels (which is almost as rare an occasion as his own marriage) he adorns his stained, once green traveling cloak. It is now a mix of green and brown; the one-time dark green faded into more of an olive green. On this unbelievably uncommon event, he also belts on his father's old sword (then he doesn't wear suspenders), passed down from generation to generation, purchased in a time when it was actually needed, and now more than a bit dirty and rusted. The scabbard is so full of holes from moths that Dury just shoves it into his belt.

Personality/Strengths/Weaknesses: Dury has always been a fellow to grow peevish at some of the smallest things, upsetting any number of people. He is fairly bold for a hobbit, one of the few reasons Mirda, as both a Brandybuck and a Took, married him. Though he can be considered bold, he is in no way adventurous like some of the ancestors of the enormous families he has married into. His personality is but bold, making him one to speak up at something he dislikes, many times, or to say something to someone's face that no other person in their right mind would say. So, he is also very opinionated, I guess, very sure of his footing, and not in the least bit meek, though judging him while with his wife, one might say so. Dury has plenty of common sense, and though he lacks in any true wisdom or intelligence, he knows what is valuable in life. He is also a good, faithful believer in morals and virtues, often shaking a finger at wrongdoers, though when he does wrong, it is much different. Even though he is not in any way book-smart, he can be cunning if need be. He has much practice stealing and stowing away all manners of pies, cakes, and sweets behind his wife's back. Oh! Did I not tell you! He has a sweet tooth the size of the Shire! And, of all things, Dury enjoys fine leaf, good ale, a warmth hearth, and a comfy chair, as do all hobbits.

History: Dury was born a Greenhand in Frogmorton, and raised a family there after marrying Mirda. He now has two children, with a third on the way. Dora is the elder of the two at four years of age and Mirdy is younger at only two and a half. Dury was much dismayed when Mirdy was born, giving him two daughters and no son, but he isn't nearly as disappointed since he has raised Mirdy these two and a half years. Still, this next one better be a boy, he says. Mirda is now close to four months with child, though, unfortunately for Dury, it has slowed her down none. With the coming of Sharku, Dury has been very loud among his family in friends, as he is a very opinionated person, complaining readily about the 'oppressment' of the Shire. Still, though he can be considered bold, it is a very big thing, going against the 'government.' So Dury has shown his face in many a meeting of protesting hobbits, but he has done nothing but talk, and plans to do nothing but talk. Still, he decides to go and check on part of his wife's family (he still can't call them his family, as they get into far too much trouble), traveling to the Smials.

First Post:

"But honey-cake!" cried Dury, trying his best to look pathetic. His wife only stared at him. Her fists were planted on her hips, and she wore a scowl, but her eyes glittered with a certain fondness for her husband. Dury had always hoped that that fondness would come through in her actions, but he was fairly sure that his hope was in vain.
"Honey-cake?!" Dury winced at her angry shout. "Is your mind always a'lying in your stomach, Dury Greenhand?"

"Why no, muf-…uh…my dear wife. I just wanted to make sure you made it right and all, you know tha--"

"You quit worrying over whether I make my plum cakes right or not, my dear husband. Worry isn't any good for the soul."

Dury mumbled something incoherent and stalked off, as much as a hobbit can stalk, to go sit in his cushioned chair. "Play with Mirdy while you have your smoke!" came Mirda's voice from back in the kitchen. Dury sighed heavily, plopping down in his chair to stare dejectedly at his feet. Mirda came hurrying into the doorway of their little parlor, hands folded at her waste, now, and her eyes no longer glittering, but looking worried, sad, and sympathetic all at the same time. She frowned at the back of her husband's chair. "I-I'm sorry, dear. I always forget, and…but it has been over two months hasn't it." She said the last part under her breath. There was no use reminding her poor husband that they had been out of any leaf at all for such a long time. "Its alright dear," Dury answered her half-heartedly.

Shaking her head sadly, Mirda turned to go back to the kitchen, ignoring the little thing with dark curls that brushed past her skirts. "And dear?" came Dury's gloomy voice. Mirda stopped but did not turn around. "Did you hear?"

"Yes. The Tooks are being guarded."

Dury grunted. "Perhaps…no."

"Yes dear. Perhaps you should. Do something."

He grunted again, though this time it was more of a groan.

Ah! It feels good to be a hobbit again!

EDIT: I forgot. I have one question: could Mirda possibly be a fairly close relative of Paladin's? That way, I believe it would go a little smoother, for me at least, because it isn't likely that Dury would be good friends with Paladin! He isn't very impressed by his Took relatives, and he doesn't like the Brandybucks much better. But, even so, I can just make the fact that Dury will get a share in the leaf (plus, it is his wife's family) an incentive. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ September 28, 2003: Message edited by: Durelin ]