View Single Post
Old 10-07-2003, 08:48 PM   #317
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Pipe

Thanks Cami, but on the contrary I was feeling worse for a moment there. Then I got to typing Dryea's capture and it took my mind off the pain! So here it is, I hope it will work alright.

Quote:
Dryea raised a thin eyebrow as Athadan handed her the vellum. His hands shook only slightly but such was the reaction of some to Dryea's majestic presence.

"A message from Ecthelion to Thorongil, m’Lady. He has agreed to Thorongil’s request to send ships and troops south to quell any chance of problems spreading north toward Gondor." Glancing to the bottom of the sheet, Dryea approved its authenticity.

"Fine Athadan, I'll be hoping to hear from you soon with more information. We've something big on our hands." She dismissed him then with a flick of her wrist and he bowed deeply before leaving her to the alcove. She sat down on the cushioned window-seat and reviewed the contents.

It took her by surprise. What with the marriage between Denethor and Finduilas, she didn't expect Ecthelion to agree so quickly with sending troops. Perhaps things were leaking out of Umbar worse than she thought.

Rolling the vellum up and securing it again with the ribbon, she folded it into the confines of her bodice and left the alcove. Pulling a black handkerchief from her drawstring purse, she dabbed at her eyes in case anyone was watching her emerge.

Then she heard the footsteps. She knew right away that they were not just guests seeking the nearest exit for fresh air or servants on their way to the kitchens. These were the solid steps of guards; and they came from both directions. Dryea was feeling a bit nervous as she began to walk back down the stairs towards the ballroom. She looked up just in time to see the first two guards mount the stairs. They looked up and their expressions held that look of detection that identified her as whom they'd been searching for.

Without thinking she spun quickly and flew back up the stairs, fumbling for her dagger as she went. She had just closed her hands around the hilt as she ran into someone at the top of the stairs. He grabbed her wrist and applied pressure that caused to her to slacken her grip. The dagger fell to the marble floor with a hollow clatter.

"Lady Morthaniawen," said a somber voice. Dryea looked up, a strand of amber curls falling from underneath her hat. Her gaze met with Ecthelion's. His eyes were cold and full of disappointment. The regret written on his façade was so powerful that Dryea even felt a little shameful for her actions. Then her soul hardened against him and she stood ready to lie.

"My Lord!" she curtsied quickly and pried herself from the guard's grasp. "These men attacked me! I was defending myself!"

"Guards of Minas Tirith attacking you?" Ecthelion bellowed. Dryea's expression faltered and her tongue froze.

"I-I, well, yes-no! m-my Lord." Tears of frustration began to well up in her eyes.

"Yes? No? What is it!?" The Stewards stepped forward and gestured for the guards to get her back on her feet and standing level with him. At her full height she was almost as tall as he was. But she felt so much smaller. "Search her," he commanded.

The guards did so indifferently until they'd recovered the message. Confused, Dryea searched the Steward's eyes for an answer. "Athadan!" she choked. Ecthelion's expression remained placid as he weighed the vellum in his hand.

"Take her away."

"NO!" Dryea began to kick and squirm, doing her best to free herself from the guards' hold. "You can't! I-I..." She was gagged then and chains were locked on her wrists. But the struggle continued as she was taken down the back stairs to the iron carriage that awaited her.

About halfway to the door leading outside her gag ripped and she screamed once good and loud before they silenced her again. Hopefully an ally would have heard!
I wasn't sure what else to add. Hopefully that will suffice. Contact me if I'm needed further. I've had so much fun playing Dryea. Will she get one last say? Like may I put a post where she is leaving Gondor and returning to Umbar, just a last thought or something. I could have it ready by tomorrow methinks. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Thanks all!!!

-Maikafanawen