View Single Post
Old 10-02-2003, 02:41 PM   #288
Arien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Arien
Question

Here is my post for Alethea's and Adrama's conversation. Nuru, I think it would be best if you placed it afeter you most recent post.

Quote:
"Adrama, I must talk to you. Things are so horrible!" Alethea’s voice dropped to hushed whisper. "There's something I must tell you."

Adrama took her hand and said in a reassuring voice, "I know what it is, Alethea."

"You know?" Relief and surprise flooded in to Alethea’s heart. But how did she know? . "Oh, but how could you possibly know? Everything has been planned so carefully, and..."

"You don't need to worry about it," Adrama said crisply. "You're the spy, and that's that. We can't do anything about it now."

Alethea looked shocked. "Oh no, Adrama, that's not it at all!" she cried. Disbelief spread over Adrama's face. Alethea hesitated a few moments more, and then she began to speak as the two began to walk through the Gardens.

“I am not the spy, nay. But I did have some work in the treachery. You know about it?” Adrama nodded her head. So if she knew the others did as well. Alethea thought of Dryea snug in false security.

Oh how she would relish the moment that her sister would fall from grace and her mother with her.

“I,” Alethea voice faltered a little but she kept speaking, “I am the spy’s sister…” She looked across to Adrama. Her face held an expression of shock.

“Dryea, but…” She started.

“Yes it is she. Her poisonous have entered your minds and numbed them. No –one could ever guess that it was she. Her air of innocence and her sweetness is too good to be true.” Alethea stopped and looked to Adrama. If her sister were false would she believe that their friendship was an act too? She looked towards Adrama again for reassurance but her eyes looked ahead.

“But..” started Alethea.

“Yes?”

“You must know that our friendship is not a fake!”

“I would never have thought such a thing; or at least I hope it was not.”

“And even though they tried to make me use you, I never did. I could never do it.”

Adrama smiled, “Thank you.” She spoke softly. Alethea was relived that Adrama believed her. If her only friend would not then Alethea would have been distraught. “But tell me something, Alethea. Why never before have you told me or anyone in fact about your sisters deceitfulness?”

“It was not only Dryea, my mother as well. I loved them; they were my family. I could not do that to them. But with recent goings on I could not bare it anymore. They went even as far as to kill!” Alethea finished exasperatedly.

“To kill?” Asked Adrama shocked, “ But who?”

“Rhir, “ Alethea replied solemnly.

“But Dryea..he…”

“I know, but I do not know which one of them did it.”

They talked for a while more and Alethea revealed everything to Adrama about their false life in Gondor and their real heritage. About the plot to shame Finduilas and her arguments with Dryea. Adrama was so understanding and Alethea was shocked to come into contact with such a warm heart; after all the coldness she had received at home.

“But I know not what to do,” Alethea finished finally.

Adrama paused, “You must go to someone. Eckthelion perhaps?”

“Yes I will,” Alethea said firmly. She could not have faith in the fact that she was going to tell him. But what would happen to her? If Dryea was caught and her mother, surely she would be caught with them. She had been a part of these lies and deceit. And even if she had not controlled it she still had had the power to turn them in. And if she was not punished, then what? She no longer had a family, and could the people of Minas Tirith or even Gondor trust her again?
But she must tell him; it was certainly the right thing to do. After a quick farewell to Adrama she made her way back to the Estate to get ready for the ball.
Thanks,

Arien

[ October 02, 2003: Message edited by: Arien ]