View Single Post
Old 10-07-2003, 06:53 PM   #175
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Anwir yawned and woke with a start. Where was he? He looked around and saw a nicely-decorated room, where the morning sunlight was filtering through the thin curtains on the window. Slowly the events of the previous day came back to him, and he remembered what had happened. Anwir rubbed the sleep from his eyes and hopped out of the bed. He walked around the room and nearly stumbled upon a sleeping figure that was curled up on the floor. Upon closer inspection, he realized that it was Aleia.

"Miss? Miss? Are you awake?" he called quietly. Aleia simply groaned and rolled over, pulling the blanket further over her head. Anwir resorted to poking her gently, but to no avail. He gulped, for he was hungry but he didn't want to go downstairs alone and eat by himself. But after trying for fifteen more minutes to rouse the snoozing hobbit, he realized that eating alone was the only way to avoid starving.

He left the room, shutting the door softly, and padded down the hallway towards the staircase. He stepped carefully and slowly down it, peering every so often at the crowd of people in the inn. Mustering up his courage, he stepped up to the bar and said softly, "Can I please have a bowl of porridge?"

His answer was "Have you got any money, lad? Food won't pay for itself!"

Anwir swallowed and looked down, embarassed. As he turned to step away, he heard a voice say loudly, "I'll pay for the boy's breakfast! And bring me some sausages and a nice cup of coffee, please!"

He whirled around and, much to his surprise, saw Aleia grinning at him blearily. "Miss Aleia? But you were sleeping, hard as a rock!" he said, bewildered.

She rolled her eyes, and said "Were, boy! That's the key word!" Their breakfast arrived and Aleia carried it to a table, where they began to eat. Anwir gobbled down his porridge as if he hadn't eaten in weeks. Aleia chewed her sausage thoughtfully, and then swallowed, asking "So, Anwir. How did you like working in the stables yesterday?"