View Single Post
Old 09-26-2003, 07:40 AM   #168
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Shield

The sun had long since set in one of those glorious early summer explosions of colour. The White Horse Inn was quiet with the muffled noises of very late evening.

Talan had started his check to ensure that all the doors of both Inn and stable were locked and windows closed. Guests were tucked away safely in their rooms--Etheldreda had taken one of the smaller rooms on the third floor as she wished to conserve her small bit of coin, Aiyanna was in her room at the back, where few knew her whereabouts; Madi had disappeared somewhere; Ruthven taken her leave of Bethberry long ago; Shae had returned with her little charge; Leofan's family were sleeping; all the maids were abed as well.

Froma was rolling out the dough for tomorrow's bread and buns and pastries; the scent of yeast wafted through the air. The roaring flames of the great fireplace in the meadhall had been dampened but not extinguished. The two innkeepers, Bethberry and Aylwen, were taking tea, sitting by the front desk and making plans for Bethberry's absence.

"I shan't be gone long, several days at the most," Bethberry informed Aylwen.

"Do you think you will stay for Maedlyn's laying in?" asked the younger Innkeeper.

"I'm not sure when her time is due, but if necessary, yes. She's lost two earlier babes and I'm sure it preys upon her mind. And if the bairn arrives, well, she will need extra hands around to help."

"What needs attending to here at the Inn?"

"Just the usual things. We have a good supply of ale, produce, flesh. Remember to check with Froma daily, though, to see if he needs anything. He likes a bit of attention and respect shown to his domain."

Aylwen shook her head, almost yawning.

"I bid you good night, then. I'll be up early and away, so don't look for me in the morning. I am thankful Ćlfritha left me the gelding. It is faster to ride than to sit atop a rumbling wagon."

With those words, the two innkeepers parted, Aylwen off to her room and Bethberry carrying the dishes to the scullery, where she bid adieu to Froma as well.

"Aylwen's in charge while you're gone?" he gruffly inquired.

"Yes, but she will keep an eye on your needs. Don't worry; she knows what she's about."

"That she does. You'll come back and find yourself not needed."

"Likely. It is the way of the world, Froma. All things pass."

"So they do," he replied.

[ September 30, 2003: Message edited by: Bęthberry ]