View Single Post
Old 09-26-2003, 06:45 AM   #167
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Shield

The second post about Hallam and Idona, from Writer of The Mark.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

He stretched out his hand to take hers. 'And I am your cousin, Hallam.'
Idona gazed at him making big eyes. As if time had stopped, she slowly tried to digest the heavy load of information she had just been given by this... this...this, Stranger?

"Oh noooo," she started making the words just float in the thin air. She shook her head from side to side, trying to imagine this being some kind of a hoax. Idona repeated herself still letting the words float and not letting the man speak. Who was he really? And if he was who he claimed to be her cousin Hallam, why did he then introduce himself to her with such pride?

She waited a moment; she had no words, only thoughts, memories and.... Hallam didn't say anything either. He hadn't really expected this kind of reaction towards his introduction.

"Why do.." Idona started. An embarrassing silence filled the air again. "Why do you introduce yourself with such pride?" she asked. Her thoughts were making words, floating out of her thin lips, now sealing themselves; she wanted to say no more.

Hallam tried to find words too, but it was obviously just as hard for him as it
was to her. "If you are who you say you are, I do wonder why you are here. What business has you here when you are unwanted?" Idona spoke in a cold and bitter voice. She was bitter. Hallam stood unsympathetic to the lady's reply. Idona grew frustrated by this attitude, if she could call this an attitude at all. This man seemed so ignorant, and he acted as if he was a hopeless little child.

You shouldn't be here," she said having a tendency of anger in her voice. "You
shouldn't be anywhere," she continued, pressing her lips tight shut. "But," Hallam started. Idona interrupted him eagerly, taking her drawing under her arm and the pencil safe in her pocket. "But, what? There shouldn't be any 'but', if you are who you claim," she raised, but her cousin took a firm grip of her arm: "Will you not listen?" Idona grinned at him. "I doubt there is anything worth listening too," she said, making the young man's fingers slip her thin arm.

She started walking with in great speed hurrying away from the table the man still sat by. He walked after. "I've come to make up," he cried after her. The lady didn't stop. She would never stop to listen to this fool, who had ruined her life and now he was back; tearing up her wounds which seemed finally to have healed.

Idona rushed out of the door, having a crowd looking after as she walked out. The warm air hit her. It was alright now; she was out of there. She could breathe. Hallam, however, didn't seem to give up that easily. "Idona!" He hurried down the stairs and after the Rohan lady. Inside, she felt her rage grow. Her cousin caught up with her as she was just to explode. "Hallam, I never wish to see you again. I want you to leave and never should you be seen by my eyes again." Her cousin let her go. Idona's cool voice and the look in her eyes had made it clear to the man that this statement was real; she would never take it back.

However, she did feel sorry for the man; he had taken a life, and now he had no life.

Idona walked slowly away from the man, turning her back towards him. As she went, she never turned around to see what became of her cousin, Hallam. And he neither, tried to catch up with his childhood-friend, Idona ever again.

[ October 26, 2003: Message edited by: Bęthberry ]