View Single Post
Old 09-18-2003, 10:14 AM   #162
The X Phial
Shade of Carn Dûm

The X Phial has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The inn was starting to fill up when Aldhelm entered. A quick glance showed him that the regulars were there as well as several new faces. He wondered how many would settle here and how many were passing through. Maybe there were some new friends in the crowd..and new customers as well.

Whatever the status of the newcomers, he had no time to meet them now. Aldhelm's scan of the crowd had not picked up on Bethberry, the object of his search. He would have to look further abroad than the front room to offer his invitation.

He found her coming down a hallway from what he remembered as a door to the garden. She had a small, strange-looking man with her who sniffed at Aldhelm and then said nothing, clearly unsure what to make of the miller.

"Good evening Miss Bethberry," he started. "I wonder if you would accept an invitation to the mill tomorrow. Maedlyn's not up to the drive into town, what with her condition and all, and I know she has missed having some female company. She asked for you, especially."

Bethberry smiled back. "I would love to come, but I do need to check with Alwyn before I say for sure. After all, the inn doesn't run itself. Have a seat in the main room, and I will be with you soon."

Aldhelm nodded and backtracked to a small table in the hall. He waved away the offer of dinner, but ordered an ale. It had just arrived when Bethberry reappeared at his side.

"It seems I have a day free for visiting. I would be happy to spend some time at the mill tomorrow," Bethberry smiled at him.

"Ah, I'm glad to hear it, and Maedlyn will be too! Lathyn will be thrilled to have someone to try her new honey cake on, as well. Shall I send Deol for you in the morning?"

"Spare him the trip," she laughed. "I can make my own way there."

"Splendid! I look forward to seeing you tomorrow then."

"And I you." And with that the innkeeper faded back into the crowd.

Aldhelm finished his ale and walked back out to his cart. Deol was waiting for him. The boy had declined to come into the inn, saying he had something to check in the kitchen. His face was a mask of confusion at the moment. Whatever was bothering him, though, he quickly hid it when he noticed Aldhelm looking at him. The miller knew that something had not gone as well as the boy had planned, but knew better than to ask his apprentice. He remembered being 16.

"Back to the mill, Deol. Market day is over, at least for us, and we have women waiting for us."

The comment earned a sharp look from the apprentice, but no comment in return. Aldhelm was too busy looking forward to getting home to notice.