View Single Post
Old 02-21-2003, 08:47 PM   #45
Lily Bracegirdle
Wight

Lily Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

This is a very interesting and insightful discussion. It doesn't hurt that I agree with just about everything everyone has said either. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

I had originally thought Denethor's dislike for Faramir had stemmed from the loss of his wife, Finduilas of Dol Amroth, but she died five years after Faramir was born, so that seems unlikely. After considering, I think Denethor favored Boromir because he knew Boromir was loyal to him and his rule. Boromir could be trusted to back his father and his father's interests no matter what, while Faramir (who was more his father's intellectual equal), was less easily controllable and might decide to side with the King. In another thread, it was mentioned that in his youth Aragorn, as Thorongil, was perceived by Denethor as a rival. Denethor's father, Ecthelion, liked Thorongil more than he did Denethor. Thorongil and Gandalf were friends, Denethor and Gandalf were not.

From Appendix A:
Quote:
... many believed that Denethor ... had discovered who the stranger Thorongil in truth was, and suspected that he and Mithrandir designed to supplant him.
So, Denethor probably saw Faramir (who was also a friend of Gandalf) as a Royalist -- someone who would bow to Aragorn's claim without a struggle -- and therefore as something of a traitor to his father's interests. On the other hand, Denethor knew Boromir "was loyal to me and no wizard's pupil ... He would have brought me a mighty gift." Denethor was right: Boromir tried to bring the Ring to Gondor and Faramir didn't.

In this Boromir and Denethor were similar: each in his pride tried to use/posess an artifact that was too powerful for him, and so was destroyed. Faramir, because he had no such pride, avoided that fate.

I think Boromir and Faramir would have been a good team if Faramir had been the elder. He could have then controlled Boromir's rash tendencies and directed his energy into useful channels. On the other hand, with Boromir being the elder, I don't think Faramir would have had much influence over him. First, he wouldn't have tried very hard, being content to let Boromir run the show, and second, Boromir would have done exactly as he pleased and not listened much. For example, regarding the trip to Rivendell, Gandalf said: "Boromir claimed the errand and *would not suffer any other to have it*. He was a masterful man and one to take what he desired."

Would Boromir have been a good ruler? Well, I think he would have been strong and competent, but not visionary. Faramir would have been better, for all the reasons everyone has already stated. The same goes for being Steward under King Elessar. While Boromir (once he got over his sulk) would have been loyal and brave, Faramir would be loyal, brave and *insightful*. I like the analogy of Ares and Athena.

King Elessar: Boromir, go take care of the Haradrim problem!
Boromir: All right, I'll go raise 10,000 troops!
King Elessar: Oh ... never mind.

King Elessar: Faramir, go solve the Haradrim problem!
Faramir: Well, I've been studying their culture and have come up with a diplomatic solution that should be mutually beneficial. Or, if you don't like that, I guess I could go beat them up. ... But that would be dumb.
King Elessar: Whatever you think is best.

Not that Aragorn would say any of that. It was just to illustrate a point. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Go, Faramir!

-Lily