View Single Post
Old 01-12-2022, 03:38 AM   #547
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Headnote to the following: I think you're right that a sketch is the place to start. We need to see how well what's in my head matches up with the actual tune, and we can't do that while Ripsime Giulezian's own complex performance is in the way.

But I'm still gonna fiddle with this now. ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Speak... turning to thee
FINROD: ABC
AMARIE: ABC - "undying" sticks out by a syllable, which is a real bummer because I like it.
A-la-ya noch' ot-stu-pa-yet za gor-nyy khre-bet.
Crim-son the / night / has passed o-ver / moun-tains / un-dy-ing

I think it technically does fit, but the natural way to sing it is to stretch "night" over "noch' ot". Can we fix it with a simple "o'er"? I think the final syllables natch up.

Quote:
Listen... ignore how you ache
FINROD: ABC - can we cut "A"? If not, it can stay as a hanging syllable.
AMARIE: ABC
We can cut the A if necessary, but hanging first syllables (it's barely a syllable, it's a schwa!) are a venerable tradition, so it might just stay.

Quote:
Look though... scream through the Night
FINROD: AB - "chasms of ice" wants more syllables... not sure how many, doesn't have to match exactly. One or two would work. There is just space which seems to need filling after "over". Maybe stick an adjective in there?
AMARIE: AB
That one's my fault - the word is "cha-a-sms". I'm hitting three distinct notes during her "ninami".

[QUOTE=Galadriel55;734322]
Feel... like a gate
FINROD: ABC
AMARIE: ABC

Quote:
Heed me... barred gate
AMARIE: ABC BBC - "pathways of fate" is missing a syllable, but could be sung as "fa-ate".
I think that's what I was doing. The problem is that the emphasis falls on the penultimate syllable, so we'd end up with "the pathways of HIS (fate)", which is just... wrong.

How is that second one a BBC? GTranslate gives the six final words as pustoy / vodoyu / bredut // sud'boy / soboyu / svetu, which looks about as solid an ABC/AB(C) as you could get.

Quote:
Answer...turning to thee
AMARIE/FINROD/BOTH: ABC ABC - could stick an extra syllable in the first line but don't have to (eg "now/for I am turning to thee"); optional.
Putting it in as "now", because this is supposed to be a repeat of the first line.

"Heart" was a really difficult song to fit the lyrics too, I admit: partly because we only had one performance, and partly because it just... crams words into every line. I think we'll have something that works, and works well, but yeah, it's going to be one of the loosest adaptations. (Which is fair, given that we've already got six! different! translations! of "Сердце мое".)

EDIT: It occurs to me that all this "oh, that's how I do it" would work a lot better if you could... y'know, hear me. So I a capella'd the song. ^_^

Part 1 & Part 2

One pass, no editing, haven't even listened back, but maybe it'll be helpful. Sung along directly with V2, so has all the long pauses that should be filled by music. Split in two because I got lost in the middle and had to stop. ^_^

I sing many fewer syllables than her. Cripes.

hS

Last edited by Huinesoron; 01-12-2022 at 04:20 AM.
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote