View Single Post
Old 10-11-2006, 11:05 AM   #592
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I wanted to share this with someone, although perhaps I'm the last one to stumble onto it? It is a linguistic site called the Glǽmscrafu, or Glittering Caves that started in July 2006. It's real ear candy and the perfect site for codgers in rocking chairs.

This French site has a lengthy list of words and names invented by Tolkien. . Click on any of these and you wll hear the sonorous voice of JRRT pronouncing the particular Elvish word or phrase. I own a recording of Tolkien reading from certain texts, but I've never seen it broken down like this. I have now learned how badly I've been pronouncing some of these words, despite the syllabic guides presented on other sites.

If you click on the site's "Cellar", you can also reach a wide assortment of texts ---Tolkien's poems in the original languages plus samples of related tongues like Finnish, Welsh, or Gothic. Once again, if you click the link to the right side, you can hear a brief extract from many of these.

I've never heard anything quite like this, or maybe there are others I don't know. Apparently the site has been developed by Bertrand Bellet and Benjamin Babut, who are with the Sindarin dictionary project. Even Carl F. Hostetter is encouraging them to try and get the estate's blessing on the dictionary (a separate site) to get it published. Anyways, these velvet sounds are a perfect accompaniment to my old rocking chair.

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 10-11-2006 at 11:10 AM.
Child of the 7th Age is offline   Reply With Quote