View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 07:17 AM   #89
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Gandalf acknowledges Saruman's lore, power and seniority but comments that he has grown proud and disikes interference in his sphere. Gandalf says that Bilbo's behaviour didn't tally with Saruman's assurances. Then the ring is shown to be the One which proves Saruman wrong and it is in that context that Gandalf speaks of an earlier time when he still trusted Saruman.

Is having doubts about someone being right who is then shown to be wrong on that matter disrespectful? He doesn't express himself disrespectfully , but if Saruman is the sort of leader who is still right when he is wrong then Gandalf could be described as disrespectful but I think it is a stretch.
Ok, that makes sense now, thanks.

Mainly I wanted to make the argument, as slight as the information, we can learn about Radagast's character based on what other characters say about him. So, Gandalf and Saruman.

I think after An Unexpected Journey too many saw an over the top, eccentric, socially awkward fool, thinking this wasn't Radagast at all. His appearance and the bird crap is too ridiculous for me, but I don't think it was a bad route to show Radagast as a wizard not up to Saruman's nobility, nor Gandalf's wisdom. Someone may read Gandalf's "Radagast is a worthy wizard" and decide Jackson got it all wrong. How is a stuttering, eccentric hermit a "worthy wizard?" But Gandalf would have no reason to speak poorly of Radagast, nor disrepsect him, especially considering Radagast as a friend. It fits Gandalf's character, because he is extremely humble. So, while he's speaking true about Radagast's worth, as a wizard, it doesn't mean it's the full picture on Radagast, considering Gandalf would have no reason to speak disrespectfully about a friend.

Saruman has no respect towards Radagast, and he's a liar who became a mimic of Sauron. However, it doesn't mean what he says about Radagast is wholly untrue. So, I don't think it was a wrong decision to blend the two wizards' opinions of Radagast together. To show not only Radagast's knowledge and worth in the nature realm, but to also get the visualisation of why Saruman had little respect for him.

I actually think what Gandalf says about Saruman in Shadow of the Past is further sign of his respect for Saruman's knowledge and authority. Saruman is able to convince Gandalf that his misgivings Bilbo might have the One Ring is wrong for a period of time. Gandalf puts aside the matter of Bilbo's ring based on Saruman's information, and it's not until it's abundantly clear in the Shadow of the Past that Saruman's information was wrong. I would agree, this is a stretch to say Gandalf was disrespecting Saruman's worth and authority.

Last edited by Boromir88; 01-08-2013 at 07:21 AM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote