View Single Post
Old 10-26-2005, 11:55 PM   #21
Alphaelin
Wight

Alphaelin has just left Hobbiton.
Lalwendė wrote:
Quote:
It was also in no small way inspired by Aragorn's leadership; she sought the glory which he represented in her eyes. It makes me think that Aragorn may have represented her animus in some way and have stirred this up.
Excellent point, Lal! I hadn't taken it quite that far, but it makes sense to me. And I agree with your next sentence:
Quote:
The other point is that being a healer in Middle-earth is most definitely not a prescribed feminine role. The best healer in Middle-earth seems to be Elrond, and Aragorn himself is extremely skilled in the art.
Not to mention the Chief Warden of the Houses of Healing.

I think the main reason that Eowyn's integration of her anima & animus are incomplete in LOTR is that much as some of us love her, she is one of JRRT's supporting characters, so he's not going to spend as much time fleshing her out as he does the Hobbits, for example, or Aragorn. LOTR is about the Quest, not a love story, and even the plotline of 'Aragorn and Arwen' takes a back seat to the main story. At least Eowyn has a quest of her own, not like poor Arwen, who is relegated to an appearance in Imladris, a reference in Lorien and then, hey presto! shows up in time to provide the reader with a wedding and the assumption that Aragorn will have heirs of his body to inherit the North and South Kingdoms. Pretty poor treatment of a High Elven princess and the Evenstar of her people!