View Single Post
Old 02-14-2003, 06:39 PM   #20
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Nuranar's Post

From the open window beside the door came a roar and a yelp. Suddenly a tiny Hobbit boy flew out the door, closely pursued by another. “Stop, Bilbo!” this one shouted between roars. “Smaug got you this time!” The two dashed past Amaranthas with nary a glance.

“Stop! Merry, that’s not supposed to happen!” called an older Hobbit boy, leaping after them. Behind him ran a girl, giggling delightedly. “Elanor, there’s someone at the door!” the boy yelled back to the Hobbit hole.

“What are you – oh!” Amaranthas turned back to the doorway. Framed in it, stood another girl. Her lovely golden curls framed a face that was renowned throughout the Shire, even in all of Amaranthas’ ninety years.

Remembering her manners, Elanor dropped a curtsey and invited the visitor in. “Please step into the parlor, ma’am.”

The parlor was a comfortable room, and like the rest of the house in a state of mild disarray. A matronly Hobbit bustled in from the kitchen, her cheeks rosy and her soft brown curls up in a bun. “Why, Miz Amaranthas! Please have a seat. May I get you anything?”

“I would look kindly upon some water, Rose dear. It’s a bit of a walk from my place and I’m not so young as you or those boys of yours!”

Rose laughed cheerily and indicated her own maternal figure. “As you can see, I’m not as spry as them right now anyway!” Suddenly the thin wail of a toddler broke upon their ears. “And speaking of…Elanor, would you take Goldilocks and Hamfast outside in the garden? It seems the boys woke them up. And make sure you keep Ham from eating the bugs! Miz Amaranthas, I’ll get you some water.”

By the time Rose returned, Amaranthas had established herself in Bilbo’s old chair by the fireplace. Setting the glass down on a table at her visitor’s elbow, Rose seated herself in a chair by the work table and fished out her thimble. “I’m sorry for the confusion, but it is such a surprise to see you. Tell me, what brings you to Bag End?”

[ February 27, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]