View Single Post
Old 11-15-2005, 11:01 PM   #54
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Quote:
You seem to have forgotten, top two teams qualify.
I didn't forget- I never knew it to begin with.

I suppose that shows how careless I am when I speed-read threads.
Quote:
he already has a yellow card. One more in the next match and he'll be out.
Sauron won't get himself disqualified. He's evil, not stupid. He wants to win much more than he wants to illegally tackle someone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by me
Yesterday I said that The Barrow-Downs would win this group, and they haven't given me a reason to say otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy Ranger
Not even almost losing?
The team they played, Valmar, is one of the top ten teams in the field. Also, Valmar threw everything they had at The Downs. I mean- Manwe scoring a goal? Since when has he been an offensive chap? Valmar tried every trick they could to cross up The BD team but The Downs withstood the assault and showed their skills at the end to win the game. Also, remember what the phantom said in his interview. It doesn't sound like The Downers were planning on playing their hardest in that match- and I don't think they did. They haven't hit their top gear yet. When they do, it just might carry The Downs into the tournament finals.

Now, since I have received multiple requests for it, I will publish power rankings of the top teams.

For all of you College Football (American) fans (Boro, TORE, Oro ), you are used to turning to the AP and BCS polls for rankings. Well, did you know they also rated Middle-Earth soccer?

Here are the rankings-

AP/BCS Poll (Ask Phantom/Bull Crap Slanted Poll)
1. Mordor
2. Angband
3. The Barrow-Downs
4. Tol-In-Gauroth
5. Valmar
6. Valimar
7. Rivendell
8. Gondolin
9. Doriath
10. Nargothrond
11. Moria

Explanations-

Mordor- Sauron and his minions have by far and away the best teamwork. They cover for each other extremely well and help each other on defense. On offense they always know where their teammates are and where they are headed. Their passing is astounding. They also have excellent speed across the board, making use of their winged steeds. In addition, they posses a quality goalkeeper.

Angband- Angband is well-above average all the way across the board. Their offense, led by Melkor and Ancalagon, is strong, but their defense is particularly good- the best of any team in the field. Gothmog and his six bruising Balrog buddies are nearly impenetrable, and if you make it past them you must contend with a fine goalkeeper, Glaurung. It is this defense that caused me to rank them ahead of The Downs.

The Barrow-Downs- The Downs has the most talented goal scorers in the tournament, and one of the best goalkeepers. They are solid in the other departments, such as defense and speed.

Tol-In-Gauroth- Sauron is always dangerous, and his wolves should not be underestimated. They run at a fast trot most of the time, but when the opportunity arises they suddenly disappear in a blur of speed. They are the only team with the across the board speed to match Mordor. A player with the ball shuffling along through a wide open space can find himself surrounded by three or four wolf defenders before he knows what's going on. They are a scary team.

Valmar & Valimar- These teams are nearly identical. They have fine offensive weapons like Tulkas, Orome, and Eonwe, but their timid midfielders barely ever get the ball ahead to their scorers. Their goalkeeping is good and their defense is decent, but the teams really depend on their front men to do everything. Last season, every goal they scored except one resulted from one of their offensive weapons stealing the ball and then taking it all the way himself. Maybe they will be able to for a while, but after three games Orome, Tulkas, and Eonwe will be awfully tired.

Rivendell- Rivendell is simply a solid team with no obvious weaknesses. They aren't as fast as Mordor, but they are fast. They don't play defense as well as Angband, but they play well. They can't score like The Downs, but they can score. And, to top it off, they have perhaps the best goalie in the tournament- Elrond.

Gondolin- Gondolin is very similar to Rivendell. They are one of the best scoring teams, but their goalkeeping is not as good as the teams above them.

Doriath- Doriath is another team in the same mold- solid with no glaring weaknesses. Their offense is particularly good, though in other categories they are just a shade behind Gondolin and Rivendell.

Nargothrond- This is the last of the "elvish quartet", as I call them. They are just a notch below Doriath in most categories.

Moria- This was just supposed to be a top ten list, but I included Moria at number eleven. Why? Because I believe that if their team unity gets better they will easily be able to compete with the four teams above them. Azog and Bill the Balrog are a fine scoring duo, and with improved team chemistry Moria could really make use of the wide variety of talents that different members of the team posses.