Thread: Geeks?
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2002, 10:40 PM   #3
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Hmm...this might be more comfortable in the movies section...

But anyway - since when is being a geek a bad thing? (I assume we're not talking about the original meaning of the word - back in the day, a geek was someone who ate raw meat at carnival stunt-shows; not generally the most respected gig out there). Yes, I would call LOTR, Spider-Man, etc geek movies in the sense that they tend to be very popular with people who are bookwormy or do a lot of technology work, which is a generally accepted definition of "geek" these days. (My husband does software development in a company that's 95% genuine geeks, and the number of three-inch-thick fantasy novels they have lying around the workplace is not to be believed). If you think that's an insult, think of it this way - would you call, say, "The Scorpion King" a geek movie? Didn't think so. Would you call it even vaguely comparable in quality to LOTR and even Spider-Man? Didn't think so again. Outsiders might think that calling it a geek movie is an insult, but to those who really appreciate these things it can be a badge of honour [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img].

- Kalimac (Geek of Letters)