View Single Post
Old 07-04-2006, 07:07 AM   #15
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
I watched the televised services with my dad (who served in WW2, for some of the time attached to the Vandoos who he credits with turning him into a proper soldier) - and he made sure I knew about the Canadians
(New Foundanders especially) . I am afraid the lack of recogniton then is proabably a legacy of colonialism but there is a memorial to the Canadian Soldiers who were stationed in the New Forest (where I live) in WW2 and the only immaculate part of the churchyard at Brockenhurst is the anzac section and special services are held each year for them. We don't forget them though neitherplace is as grand as St Pauls.
Ah, the 22nd. Interesting regiment!

Those interested in reading novels about the time might take a peak at Jane Urquhart's The Underpainter and The Stone Carvers.

I wonder about that entry. Were horses used by signal officers? Here's what the Wikipedia has on German uhlans:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiki
World War I
German Uhlans

In 1914 the Imperial German Army included nineteen Uhlan regiments, three of which were Guard regiments. The senior of these was Ulanen-Regiment Kaiser Alexander III. von Rusland which was first raised in 1745. All German Uhlan regiments wore Polish style czapkas and tunics with plastron fronts, both in coloured parade uniforms and the field grey service dress introduced in 1910. Because German hussar, dragoon and cuirassier regiments carried also carried lances in 1914 there was a tendency among their French and British opponents to describe all German cavalry as "uhlans". After seeing mounted action during the early weeks of World War I the Uhlan regiments were either dismounted to serve as "cavalry rifles" in the trenches of the Western Front, or transferred to the Eastern Front where more primitive conditions made it possible for horse cavalry to still play a useful role. All nineteen German Uhlan regiments were disbanded in 1918-19.
Would this mean they were not used at the Somme?

Also, I have never met a (Canadian) veteran from WWI or WWII who talks about German soldiers in those terms.
Bęthberry is offline   Reply With Quote