View Single Post
Old 05-01-2006, 04:34 PM   #292
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
While Kara headed away with the rolls, and then out of the room, Náin eased his pack off his back, and sat down, taking note of the construction around him, and noting with interest what the builders had been doing.

Then Kara re-entered the room from another door, startling him yet again, but carrying food and drink for which he was grateful. Accepting it with eager thanks, he began to tuck in, when Kara sat down opposite him, and said:

"I wonder sir, would you mind if I joined you for a while? It has been a long time since I met one of your kindred and I would like to hear more news of the outside world."

At least, Náin thought, sitting down it was easier to talk to them face to face. But he was still somewhat flustered. Men, and their womenfolk in particular, had no idea what pieces of art they were. Compared with a Dwarf, even an average Man or Woman looked graceful. Dwarves were made practically, which Náin approved of, but with a great love of things beautiful. And as a sculptor, Náin was particularly aware of the beauty of Men.

"Yes- I mean, no, I don't mind," he said through a mouthful. At least, he thought, he had managed not to spew any of it across the table.

"Though I fear," he continued, "that you probably know more than I, as Edoras is much more centrally located than any of the lands between here and Erebor. And a sorry journey it is from there, too. The Old Forest Road is once again somewhat passable, but it is a sorry road indeed, and once one reaches the lands of the Beornings, there are no roads south. The Lord Gimli said that he's travelled by boat down the Anduin, but we Dwarves are more comfortable travelling on our own feet, so we had to stump it through the Wilderland on foot. Other than passing through the Golden Wood"- Náin shuddered- "it was a decent, if lonely journey. The Gladden fields was the worst- mosquitoes EVERYWHERE! There's talk of a north-south road from Dale to Dagorlad, but that's a very long way indeed, and we'll see if it ever happens."

"But what brings Dwarves to the Riddermark in the first place?" asked Kara.

"The Glittering Caves!" said Náin. "I have not seen them, but the Lord Gimli has described them so well that I can almost see them in my mind's eye. They are to the Dwarves what flower gardens are to a gardener- but like the largest, most beautiful, well-tended garden ever. Or it will be, once we have begun our work. For now it is more like a lovely, but dishevelled, forest vale of wildflowers."

"I've never heard of them, I don't think," said Kara. "They are here in the Mark, you say?"

"Never heard of them!!" This time Náin did spew some ale in Kara's direction. "Oh! Beards and bullfrogs! I'm sorry. I didn't realize the Lord Gimli was so right in saying that the Rohirrim did not know the treasure they have! When he said that you used them for storage and a place to hide during war, I assumed he was jesting! Chisels and chests, I'm sorry about the ale..."

"It's nothing," said Kara, wiping her face on her sleave. "Don't worry about it. I still don't know where these Glittering Caves are, though."

"Oh... what was it called?" Náin absentmindedly twisted his jaw as his tongue sought something caught in his teeth while he pondered. "They're behind a big fortress... the Gondorians built it..."

"Helm's Deep?"

"Yes! That was it!"

"So what are you doing Edoras then?" asked Kara. "I assume that this Lord Gimli and the rest of your countrymen went on to Helm's Deep?"

"Yes, they did," nodded Náin. "I've been sent to Edoras by King Thorin as thanks to King Éomer for allowing us to colonize the caves. I'm a sculptor, so I'll be making statues and busts and whatnot as King Éomer wishes."

"So you'll be staying here at the Mead Hall for a while, then?" asked Kara.

"That's the plan," said Náin, poking a finger in his mouth, still trying to get at the food stuck between his teeth. Then he noticed what he was doing. "Er... excuse my bad manners. It's been a long time on the road. You don't need any real manners out there."

"Stop worrying," said Kara. "And especially don't worry about finding anywhere else to stay. If you're here to aid King Éomer, I'm sure Eodwine will be more than honoured to have you. And he should be back before TOO long to tell you so himself. Meanwhile, eat up!"