View Single Post
Old 04-23-2007, 02:23 AM   #398
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

I seem to recall that this quote has been used in this thread, but a thought occurred to me yesterday while reading it.
My older brother had asked me to explain the Balrog Wings debate and during my explanation I read this from HoME VII:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoME VII: The Treason of Isengard. Chapter X: The Bridge
"... A figure strode to the fissure, no more than man-high yet terror seemed to go before it. They could see the furnace-fire of its yellow eyes from afar; its arms were very long; it had a red [?tongue]. Through the air it sprang over the fiery fissure, the flames leaped up to greet it and wreathed about it. Its streaming hair seemed to catch fire and the sword that it held turned to flame. In its other hand it held a whip of many thongs.
The fiery figure ran across the floor. The Orcs yelled and shot many arrows.
Suddenly, with a spout of flame, it sprang on the bridge, but Gandalf stood firm.
...[Gandal's You cannot pass speech]...
The creature made no reply, but standing up tall so that it loomed above the wizard, it strode forward and smote him..."

Page 197-8
Now, it strikes me as odd that, in all this description of what the Balrog looks like, there is no mention of wings. Even in the final version as seen in The Lord of the Rings, the description of what the creature looks like and the mention of wings are not in the same place. There is a description of a creature of fire that has a sword. Then it moves a bit. There is some dialogue and only then are the shadow wings mentioned.
It strikes me that, if the creature has wings, then Tolkien would have mentioned it in the above, more detailed, description of the Balrog...

Unless I am missing something...